Big Rob

Default Recommendation for Resaw blade for MM16

Anyone have a recommendation for a resaw blade for a MM16? I'm
considering a 3/4" 3 tpi bi-metal blade from Lenox. The first project
will be cutting 1/8-1/4" veneer off of 12" wide figured maple.

Robert

Will

I asked the same question of the owner at R&D Bandsaw (Tufftooth)just
last weekend...

The blade you are thinking of seems pretty close to the following link.
So I guess it's a good choice.
http://www.tufftooth.com/silicon-new.html

The Bandsaw I use is the 1433FX - Industrial
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=104&ID=58

So you can judge the similarity - I have the riser block and use a 105"
blade.

All his bandsaw advice has panned out so far.

FWIW

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Slowhand

"Big Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have a recommendation for a resaw blade for a MM16? I'm
considering a 3/4" 3 tpi bi-metal blade from Lenox. The first project
will be cutting 1/8-1/4" veneer off of 12" wide figured maple.

I also own the mm16. There was quite a discussion on this at the yahoo
minimax group. Consensus there was the lenox or woodslicer. The lenox I
believe was spendier but gave better results. I don't use either. I use
Olsen and viking. I prefer Viking. Consensus also said to not use thin
kerf blades for making veneer. I personally haven't had a problem with the
thin vs fat kerf for veneer slicing. I think it's all a matter of how your
technique is and how well your machine is tuned. JMHOYMMV.
SH

Big Rob

Slowhand wrote:
"Big Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'll have to check out the yahoo MM group. I remember the MM guys
mentioning something about a MM users group.....

Slowhand

"Big Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Slowhand wrote:
"Big Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

They're kind of a chatty group. It's a good reference though. I downloaded
a users manual for the mm16 which is useful. I highly recommend the manual
as the one that comes with the machine is not real useful.
SH

Bruce

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:21:07 -0700, Big Rob wrote
(in article .com):

Anyone have a recommendation for a resaw blade for a MM16? I'm
considering a 3/4" 3 tpi bi-metal blade from Lenox. The first project
will be cutting 1/8-1/4" veneer off of 12" wide figured maple.

Robert

I ordered a 1" 4tpi Timberwolf for my mm16. Basically it sucked for 10" white
oak. I have the Olson that came with the saw still to try but I may splurge
on the woodslicer or lennox when I have more resawing to do.

-Bruce

charlie b

Big Rob wrote:

Anyone have a recommendation for a resaw blade for a MM16? I'm
considering a 3/4" 3 tpi bi-metal blade from Lenox. The first project
will be cutting 1/8-1/4" veneer off of 12" wide figured maple.

Robert

When I got my bandsaw (LT16SEC), I thought that you needed
a wide blade for resawing. Since this saw would take a 1 1/4"
blade I got one. What a PITA. Ever uncoiled a 130" 1 1/4"
blade? Never did try to recoil it. Was a PITA to get on the
bandsaw and tensioning it wasn't fun either. That much blade
in the cut means more friction. Wider ain't always better,
despite that car ad.

Then I sat in on a demonstration by Michael Fortune, a
Canadian furntiure maker / teacher who does a lot of
laminated pieces that involve lots of resawing. "Don't
spend a lot of money on one blade. Get 5, 1/2". 3 TPI, hook
toothed blades for about the same price as one "good blade"
When a blade starts getting dull change it. When you
get down to 2 new blades order 5 more. Sharp is what's
important, not price."

And it doesn't hurt to having the saw set up well, proper
tension, good guides set right AND a fence that can be
set to the blade's drift/lead angle.

(when the Timberwolf blades I've got starts getting dull . . .)

charlie b

warped saw blade? GBannish Woodworking 3 January 11th 05 04:31 PM
Stryco blade welder Jim Levie Metalworking 18 December 17th 04 08:54 PM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM