Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WEEPING WILLOW TREE ROOT

Hi all,

I have a giant weeping willow tree in my backyard near my shed. One of the
roots has grown under the shed, and is starting to lift the shed structure.
Short of digging under and around the root and cutting it with a chain saw, how
can I stop this 1 root from continuing to grow ??? It's about 12" in diameter.
I don't want to kill the tree, just this 1 root.

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron in NY" wrote:

I have a giant weeping willow tree in my backyard
near my shed. One of the roots has grown under the
shed, and is starting to lift the shed structure.
Short of digging under and around the root and
cutting it with a chain saw, how can I stop this
1 root from continuing to grow ??? It's about 12"
in diameter.

I don't want to kill the tree, just this 1 root.

Let's start with 12" ain't no root! It's a trunk!

I'll lay you odds that the trunk came under because
there was moisture there.

You need to dig up the root and expect it to be
loaded with moisture. I dug up 24 feet of trunk
about 20 years ago during a drought and that
sucker was soaked with moisture.

Every night when I came home I pour a gallon or
more of water at the base of the tree. When the
county put in a new sewer line, they cut out at
least half of the root system and again I gave
water every day during the summer. About two
years, I was in North Carolina and drove passed
the house - and my wife said "that damn tree is
still alive."

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 31, 9:12 am, Dan Espen
wrote:
(Ron in NY) writes:

Hi all,

I have a giant weeping willow tree in my backyard near my shed. One of the
roots has grown under the shed, and is starting to lift the shed structure.
Short of digging under and around the root and cutting it with a chain saw, how
can I stop this 1 root from continuing to grow ??? It's about 12" in diameter.
I don't want to kill the tree, just this 1 root.

Careful. Willows fall over without a lot of provocation.
At least they did for me.

If you cut that root, you may increase the chances the tree will go.

Take the whole tree down or move the shed.

12", Leave it and raise the shed. or you might kill the tree.

Tree root damage [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 9th 07 06:35 PM
Tree Root Problem cover Home Ownership 2 August 15th 06 02:53 AM
DIY Willow Tree Chopping? Bert Byfield Home Repair 15 May 26th 06 12:57 AM
Tree root question BillC Home Repair 2 July 10th 05 11:50 AM
tree root problem tenplay Home Repair 3 May 31st 05 08:30 PM