Posted to alt.home.repair

Default small item

I was attaching the typical closet lock to my closet. In the process I
lost the one screw i had left to insert in that opening that attach's
the knob to the spindle. I have no extra and hate to buy another lock
just for that one screw. I don't know what its called...its not
tapered and of course very short. Any ideas? Do they sell them in a
hardware store without the locks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Noel wrote in news:1188429896.603501.126480
@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:

I was attaching the typical closet lock to my closet. In the process I
lost the one screw i had left to insert in that opening that attach's
the knob to the spindle. I have no extra and hate to buy another lock
just for that one screw. I don't know what its called...its not
tapered and of course very short. Any ideas? Do they sell them in a
hardware store without the locks?

Closet lock? Lock?

Are you talking about the turn knob aka a passthru knob?

Very short? The ones I've always seen are very long. Two of them. Anyway,
you can probably get one at HD or Lowe's. Just bring in the other one.
Either the staff MAY be able to help you or in the hardware aisle there
is probably a machine screw thread gauge

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item...9k0811-dsp.jpg

fastened to somethig for customers to use.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:24:56 -0700, Noel wrote:

I was attaching the typical closet lock to my closet. In the process I

I don't know what yo mean by typical.

And do you mean lock or door latch. The only closets I have had that
lock, in houses going back to the '30's used skeleton keys. Do you
mean that kind of lock?

Otherwise, the doorknobs have looked just like the doorknobs on the
bedroom except that they DIDN"T lock.

lost the one screw i had left to insert in that opening that attach's
the knob to the spindle.

This does sound like a set screw. That is just a threaded shaft with
no head, nothing bigger in diameter than the shaft. Are the threads
in the knob, and when tightened it just presses on the spindle? If
so, you only have to take the knob....well take the knob and spindle
if you can so you can get a set screw that fits the hole and screws
in, and is the right length, so little or nothing sticks out when it
is tightened, but it's long enough to reach the spindle.

Set scrrew come with flat slots or hex-shaped slots. I think hardware
stores usually sell flat but I'm not sure. If you get hex, make sure
you have a hex wrench to tighten it. A set of hex wrenches is iirc
bout 4 dollars or less.

If somehow you can't get a set screw that fits, you can use a screw
with a head. GEt a round headed machine screw, round headed so you
don't scratch your fingers when you use the knob. It has to be a
little longer than the set screw.

I have no extra and hate to buy another lock
just for that one screw. I don't know what its called...its not
tapered and of course very short. Any ideas? Do they sell them in a
hardware store without the locks?

Definitely, if you mean set screws.

NEWS ITEM -- The Best Of ... Thomas Scarborough Electronics 0 April 11th 07 11:33 AM
What is it? Item 518 Relz Metalworking 2 January 23rd 06 05:02 PM
What is this item called Boothbay Home Repair 9 November 1st 05 09:56 PM
What is this MT2 item used for? Waynemak Metalworking 23 October 13th 05 12:03 PM
OT e-bay item ;) Tony Mo Woodworking 13 November 22nd 04 05:51 PM