Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it a problem if recessed light fixture touches PVC sewage pipe

A contractor is finishing my basement. I noticed that the electrician
put a recessed light fixture touching the PVC sewage pipe in the
ceiling.

Can the heat generated by the light damage the PVC pipe? (The recessed
light fixture is IC-rated if it matters).

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 6:40 pm, wrote:
A contractor is finishing my basement. I noticed that the electrician
put a recessed light fixture touching the PVC sewage pipe in the
ceiling.

Can the heat generated by the light damage the PVC pipe? (The recessed
light fixture is IC-rated if it matters).

Thanks

It should be ok, cans have a bimetal heat cutoff switch if they get to
194 degerees then back on at 184 degrees. And IC cans are made to run
cooler on the outside. If your lights flash (due to thermal switch
oscillating) then just go down 20 watts or so with the bulb, or drop
the bulb position down in the can (see wing nut). If the can against
the pipe is not also embedded in insulation it should run cool. I
have one in contact with some cat5 phone wiring and never had a
problem, and I'm sure cat5 has a lower melting point than PVC.