Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr.John

Default Installing recessed lighting fixture in suspended ceiling

I am about to install several recessed light in a hanging ceiling. I
am pulling permits and getting inspections. Since the hanging ceiling
is the last thing to be installed, and I need to have the lights hooked
up to get the electrical inspection, what is the right approach to
installing them.? I suppose I could suspend them from temporary
hangers to hook them up and get inspected, then connect them to the
grid and adjust the hangers after the ceiling is in place?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dr.John" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to install several recessed light in a hanging ceiling. I
am pulling permits and getting inspections. Since the hanging ceiling
is the last thing to be installed, and I need to have the lights hooked
up to get the electrical inspection, what is the right approach to
installing them.?

Ask the inspector what he expects to see. Your idea (or anyone here) and
his expectations may differ. Worth a phone call.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Most recessed manufacturers make supports to attach recessed fixtures to "T"
bars and be sure to staple your cables to the framing above the suspended
ceiling and not just lay it across the "T" bars

"Dr.John" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to install several recessed light in a hanging ceiling. I
am pulling permits and getting inspections. Since the hanging ceiling
is the last thing to be installed, and I need to have the lights hooked
up to get the electrical inspection, what is the right approach to
installing them.? I suppose I could suspend them from temporary
hangers to hook them up and get inspected, then connect them to the
grid and adjust the hangers after the ceiling is in place?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

I would also do what Ed suggests, if possible. Here in NY, electrical
inspectors make no bones about their job NOT being to teach us the trade, so
asking them for advise is a worthless endeavor

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Most recessed manufacturers make supports to attach recessed fixtures to
"T" bars and be sure to staple your cables to the framing above the
suspended ceiling and not just lay it across the "T" bars

"Dr.John" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to install several recessed light in a hanging ceiling. I
am pulling permits and getting inspections. Since the hanging ceiling
is the last thing to be installed, and I need to have the lights hooked
up to get the electrical inspection, what is the right approach to
installing them.? I suppose I could suspend them from temporary
hangers to hook them up and get inspected, then connect them to the
grid and adjust the hangers after the ceiling is in place?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Dr.John wrote:

I am about to install several recessed light in a hanging ceiling. I
am pulling permits and getting inspections. Since the hanging ceiling
is the last thing to be installed, and I need to have the lights hooked
up to get the electrical inspection, what is the right approach to
installing them.? I suppose I could suspend them from temporary
hangers to hook them up and get inspected, then connect them to the
grid and adjust the hangers after the ceiling is in place?

Hi,
Hanger anchored between joist?
That'll do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Justin West

I haven't a clue if this will help you or not John; however, in most of
the commercial settings I've worked (canada) where they need to have
the electrical inspected in an unfinished room they typically:

- Run all their conduit and bx (remember, I'm speaking of commercial
applications)
- Run the t-bar throughout the room
- Install the tiles *only* where the light fixtures are to be installed
- Install the light fixtures
- Have inspected

Regards, JW

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr.John

Sounds logical, thanks. One question. Don't you need to put up the
wallboard before you can hang the t-bar, the catch-22 being you have to
have the electrical inspected before you put up the wallboard?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Typically, you would rough the entire room and leave tails in the ceiling
for the future lights. Get a roughing inspection, close the walls,install
your outlets and switches, install the ceiling grid and recessed fixtures
wired to the tails you left, and call for a final inspection.

"Dr.John" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sounds logical, thanks. One question. Don't you need to put up the
wallboard before you can hang the t-bar, the catch-22 being you have to
have the electrical inspected before you put up the wallboard?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr.John

Ah, sounds good, on my way... thx

Old house, Ceiling Light Fixture Died, No Change After New Switch ASE Home Repair 3 February 7th 05 01:57 AM
Installing recessed lighting in a Celotex insulated flat roof SteveRoche UK diy 6 January 9th 05 02:58 PM
Recessed Lighting wiring question Philip Home Repair 5 June 12th 04 12:45 AM
Advice on bathroom lighting in shallow false ceiling [email protected] UK diy 8 October 28th 03 05:54 PM
Suspended ceiling and LV spotlights Ady UK diy 0 September 29th 03 10:15 AM