Posted to alt.home.repair

Default toilet main shut off valve does not work

wow ... i have the worst luck on Earth

there are two toilet water shut off valves. the one underneat the tank
and the one that cuts off water for the entire apt

NEITHER WORK!!!

the one underneath the tank drips and shoots out a thin stream of water
when I disconnect the hose (after turning it to the right completely)

the main shut off valve is turned off but i can get water out of my
bathroom cold water sink ... which wasnt the case before.

called the HOA they say its my problem ... called a plumber and they
say the valve maybe broken and may need repairing. I can schedule an
appt tommorow because its not an emergency (which would entail paying
time and a half)

anyone ever had both VALVES not work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 4:30 pm, samster wrote:
wow ... i have the worst luck on Earth

there are two toilet water shut off valves. the one underneat the tank
and the one that cuts off water for the entire apt

NEITHER WORK!!!

the one underneath the tank drips and shoots out a thin stream of water
when I disconnect the hose (after turning it to the right completely)

the main shut off valve is turned off but i can get water out of my
bathroom cold water sink ... which wasnt the case before.

called the HOA they say its my problem ... called a plumber and they
say the valve maybe broken and may need repairing. I can schedule an
appt tommorow because its not an emergency (which would entail paying
time and a half)

anyone ever had both VALVES not work?

Yes. Have a plumber replace the faulty main valve with a ball valve.
It took one hour and the valve was about $25.

Posted to alt.home.repair

samster wrote:
wow ... i have the worst luck on Earth

there are two toilet water shut off valves. the one underneat the tank
and the one that cuts off water for the entire apt

NEITHER WORK!!!

the one underneath the tank drips and shoots out a thin stream of
water when I disconnect the hose (after turning it to the right
completely)

the main shut off valve is turned off but i can get water out of my
bathroom cold water sink ... which wasnt the case before.

called the HOA they say its my problem ... called a plumber and they
say the valve maybe broken and may need repairing. I can schedule an
appt tommorow because its not an emergency (which would entail paying
time and a half)

anyone ever had both VALVES not work?

I was working on one of my rental apartments (the house was built in 1902)
I shut off 5 valves and none of them worked !
one was also a water closet feed, I have allot of plumbing exp. as I used to
do side jobs with a Master Plumber, so I shut off the Main and sweat on some
new valves.

Clark

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was working on one of my rental apartments (the house was built in 1902)
I shut off 5 valves and none of them worked !
one was also a water closet feed, I have allot of plumbing exp. as I used to
do side jobs with a Master Plumber, so I shut off the Main and sweat on some
new valves.

Clark

How much would you have charged to "fix" those valves? I am kind of happy
to have discovered this now and not later when I might really need it./

The HOA provides an emergency plumber but thats ONLY for shutting off the
entire townhouse in the case of flooding NOTHING MORE

Fortunately i am not there yet

I am talking to some plumbers waiting for estimates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes. Have a plumber replace the faulty main valve with a ball valve.
It took one hour and the valve was about $25.

Will this involve smashing the tile behind the two valves?

The failure of the main valve is whats freaking me out because I might
need that .. and that worked a year and a half ago. But this is an old
building so ... (1970's in a way its great since its all brick, and not
wood like they make nowadays ... in another is bad since a lot of the
pipping is wearing down)

I take it plumbers can replace/fix valve without tearing the tiles out?

If the tiles have to go then so be it. I am just thinking how much it
would cost to replace tiles in addition to all else

I have a feelign this is gonna run into the hundreds if i am not careful

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 7:15 pm, samster wrote:
Yes. Have a plumber replace the faulty main valve with a ball valve.
It took one hour and the valve was about $25.

Will this involve smashing the tile behind the two valves?

The failure of the main valve is whats freaking me out because I might
need that .. and that worked a year and a half ago. But this is an old
building so ... (1970's in a way its great since its all brick, and not
wood like they make nowadays ... in another is bad since a lot of the
pipping is wearing down)

I take it plumbers can replace/fix valve without tearing the tiles out?

If the tiles have to go then so be it. I am just thinking how much it
would cost to replace tiles in addition to all else

I have a feelign this is gonna run into the hundreds if i am not careful

Old Building...1970's HA! Old buildings we ones built before the war
- the Revolutionary War!

Of course those didn't have plumbing.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

samster wrote in
news
Yes. Have a plumber replace the faulty main valve with a ball valve.
It took one hour and the valve was about $25.

Will this involve smashing the tile behind the two valves?

The failure of the main valve is whats freaking me out because I might
need that .. and that worked a year and a half ago. But this is an old
building so ... (1970's in a way its great since its all brick, and
not wood like they make nowadays ... in another is bad since a lot of
the pipping is wearing down)

I take it plumbers can replace/fix valve without tearing the tiles
out?

If the tiles have to go then so be it. I am just thinking how much it
would cost to replace tiles in addition to all else

I have a feelign this is gonna run into the hundreds if i am not
careful

...But this is an old building so ... (1970's

old?...I wonder what that makes me :-(
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 8:15 pm, samster wrote:
Yes. Have a plumber replace the faulty main valve with a ball valve.
It took one hour and the valve was about $25.

Will this involve smashing the tile behind the two valves?

The failure of the main valve is whats freaking me out because I might
need that .. and that worked a year and a half ago. But this is an old
building so ... (1970's in a way its great since its all brick, and not
wood like they make nowadays ... in another is bad since a lot of the
pipping is wearing down)

I take it plumbers can replace/fix valve without tearing the tiles out?

If the tiles have to go then so be it. I am just thinking how much it
would cost to replace tiles in addition to all else

I have a feelign this is gonna run into the hundreds if i am not careful

I can't imagine they would have to tear anything out, besides the old
valve. To replace the main shutoff in my house it was less than a
hundred. May be more where you are but not much I would think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

samster wrote:
I was working on one of my rental apartments (the house was built in
1902) I shut off 5 valves and none of them worked !
one was also a water closet feed, I have allot of plumbing exp. as I
used to do side jobs with a Master Plumber, so I shut off the Main
and sweat on some new valves.

Clark

How much would you have charged to "fix" those valves? I am kind of
happy to have discovered this now and not later when I might really
need it./

The HOA provides an emergency plumber but thats ONLY for shutting off
the entire townhouse in the case of flooding NOTHING MORE

Fortunately i am not there yet

I am talking to some plumbers waiting for estimates.

Well the part is around three to five bucks for the water closet, and
plumbers in western mass charge $60.00 to $100.00 per hour
I would hope you could get it fixed for about $60.00 each
When they do the Main it should be a BALL valve. link
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

If you get a good plumber it should go well

Clark

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't imagine they would have to tear anything out, besides the old
valve. To replace the main shutoff in my house it was less than a
hundred. May be more where you are but not much I would think.

It cost me $250 and afterwards water still trickles. he had changed
the stem on the main valve.

he says the backing behind it maybe damaged/rusted out and he would have
to come back (at an additional cost) to break open the tile, install an
access panel and get to the guts of the piping.

I am in a condo

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you get a good plumber it should go well

Clark

As luck would have it .. I dont have the ball valve. I have the other
type with a stem and a knob that must be rotated a few times to shut it
off

It cost almost $300 to replace and determine that ... THAT wont fix the
"trickle".

Its gonna cost more to break open the tiles, install an access panel and
replace the guts with a ball valve
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 12:17 pm, samster wrote:
If you get a good plumber it should go well

Clark

As luck would have it .. I dont have the ball valve. I have the other
type with a stem and a knob that must be rotated a few times to shut it
off

It cost almost $300 to replace and determine that ... THAT wont fix the
"trickle".

Its gonna cost more to break open the tiles, install an access panel and
replace the guts with a ball valve

Everybody told you to replace the old valve with a new ball valve...
Why didn't you do that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My in-laws needed a new toilet fill valve. I'd done a bit of plumbing
and thought nothing of it. But their house was built in the early 60s
and still had the old shut off valve. Probably never turned in those
40 years. I turned it about a quarter turn before it broke off in my
hand and water started shooting across the bathroom. Worst of all, no
one knew where the main was located. So I was running all over the
front yard until I found it and shut off the water. After that, I
replaced all the valves in my house with ball valves.

On Aug 28, 12:49 pm, wrote:
On Aug 28, 12:17 pm, samster wrote:

If you get a good plumber it should go well

Clark

As luck would have it .. I dont have the ball valve. I have the other
type with a stem and a knob that must be rotated a few times to shut it
off

It cost almost $300 to replace and determine that ... THAT wont fix the
"trickle".

Its gonna cost more to break open the tiles, install an access panel and
replace the guts with a ball valve

Everybody told you to replace the old valve with a new ball valve...
Why didn't you do that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 12:17 pm, samster wrote:
If you get a good plumber it should go well

Clark

As luck would have it .. I dont have the ball valve. I have the other
type with a stem and a knob that must be rotated a few times to shut it
off

It cost almost $300 to replace and determine that ... THAT wont fix the
"trickle".

Its gonna cost more to break open the tiles, install an access panel and
replace the guts with a ball valve

I don't understand why he would need to break anything open, but if he
does, it may not be too big a sacrifice to have a reliable shut off
valve (ball valve). Is it somewhere highly visible?
And for nearly 300 to fix the stem valve he ripped you. Find a
different plumber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:30:38 -0400, samster wrote:

wow ... i have the worst luck on Earth

there are two toilet water shut off valves. the one underneat the tank
and the one that cuts off water for the entire apt

NEITHER WORK!!!

the one underneath the tank drips and shoots out a thin stream of water
when I disconnect the hose (after turning it to the right completely)

the main shut off valve is turned off but i can get water out of my
bathroom cold water sink ... which wasnt the case before.

called the HOA they say its my problem ... called a plumber and they
say the valve maybe broken and may need repairing. I can schedule an
appt tommorow because its not an emergency (which would entail paying
time and a half)

anyone ever had both VALVES not work?

Things mechanical sometimes break and often when least expected. Easiest
solution is to change them and then go forward.

Parts should cost less than $20. Time should be less than an hour.

Good DIY project.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Aug 28, 7:25 pm, franz frippl wrote:
[...]

Good DIY project.- Hide quoted text -

Don,t understand how you would not use anything but ball valves this
is a diy if you know how to solder if not call a person who doe's

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
samster wrote:

wow ... i have the worst luck on Earth

there are two toilet water shut off valves. the one underneat the tank
and the one that cuts off water for the entire apt

NEITHER WORK!!!

the one underneath the tank drips and shoots out a thin stream of water
when I disconnect the hose (after turning it to the right completely)

the main shut off valve is turned off but i can get water out of my
bathroom cold water sink ... which wasnt the case before.

called the HOA they say its my problem ... called a plumber and they
say the valve maybe broken and may need repairing. I can schedule an
appt tommorow because its not an emergency (which would entail paying
time and a half)

anyone ever had both VALVES not work?

You should be glad you have a toilet. Most people in the world don't.
It's common for shut-off valves to stop working. The city of New York is
due for a major problem with theirs. They're well over 100 years old,
and they'd like to replace them, but they'd have to shut one off to
replace another one. They're so old and cruddy that they're afraid to
touch 'em. When they go, it's going to be ugly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 9:20 pm, jim wrote:
[...]

Don't know where the OP lives, but where I am, a ball valve would not
be acceptable by code for the main shutoff valve coming into a house.

Here a "code valve" for a water service is a gate valve with a non-
rising stem. A 3/4" one is about $25 from a plumbing supply house.

JK