Posted to alt.home.repair
Clark[_3_] Clark[_3_] is offline

Default toilet main shut off valve does not work

another image of an install
http://www.averageguydiy.com/images/...ball-valve.jpg
Clark

Clark wrote:
samster wrote:
I was working on one of my rental apartments (the house was built in
1902) I shut off 5 valves and none of them worked !
one was also a water closet feed, I have allot of plumbing exp. as I
used to do side jobs with a Master Plumber, so I shut off the Main
and sweat on some new valves.

Clark

How much would you have charged to "fix" those valves? I am kind of
happy to have discovered this now and not later when I might really
need it./

The HOA provides an emergency plumber but thats ONLY for shutting off
the entire townhouse in the case of flooding NOTHING MORE

Fortunately i am not there yet

I am talking to some plumbers waiting for estimates.

Well the part is around three to five bucks for the water closet, and
plumbers in western mass charge $60.00 to $100.00 per hour
I would hope you could get it fixed for about $60.00 each
When they do the Main it should be a BALL valve. link
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

If you get a good plumber it should go well

Clark