Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maglite problem

Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed
batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and
tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.

Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.

Any ideas?

Thx,

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed
batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and
tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.

Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.

Any ideas?

If you find out, let me know. I got one just like it. One of these days,
I'll completely disassemble it, and find out. I think that some electrical
goop on the threads helps to counteract the oxidation. Maybe even a little
brushing with a small wire brush. I mean there's only a few parts in there.

Steve

factoid: in the base of each light under the spring, in a plastic thingus,
there's an extra bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:19:46 -0700, "SteveB" wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
.. .

Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed
batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and
tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.

Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.

Any ideas?

If you find out, let me know. I got one just like it. One of these days,
I'll completely disassemble it, and find out.

I've been thru everything but the switch which requires a special tool ...

I think that some electrical
goop on the threads helps to counteract the oxidation. Maybe even a little
brushing with a small wire brush. I mean there's only a few parts in there.

I brushed, I lubed, etc etc.

The gal at Mag svc. (800 283 5562) promised a new switch/tool, maybe 2 weeks,
no cost, didn't ask about warranty info. I dunno what else it could be.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed
batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and
tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.

Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.

Any ideas?

Check the Mag web page as they have repair information there, as well as
where to send it for warranty repairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed
batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and
tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.

Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.

Any ideas?

Check the Mag web page as they have repair information there, as well as
where to send it for warranty repairs.

Warranty is rather meaningless, since shipping cost is close to the cost of
a replacement unit. My first Maglite cost 40 bucks at a gun shop. Ten years
later, after that one got stolen, the replacement cost about half that (and
it showed) from a 'regular' big-box store.
In the old days Zippo lighters used to have a similar warranty- they would
just stuff new guts in and send it back.
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote in
:

Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed
batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and
tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.

Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.

Any ideas?

No signs of battery leakage inside the tube?
(vinegar works good for removing alkaline battery leakage)
When you remove the front bell to replace the bulb,does the black plastic
part spring up and can it be pressed down and spring back when released?
That is how the lamp gets turned on.

it's common for the bulb filament to deposit a black film inside the
bulb,reducing light output.

I installed a Nite-Ize LED mod on my AA Maglite,and a tailcap switch,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 10:46 am, Jim Yanik wrote:

[...]

Dont they have a lifetime warranty, send it in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote :

[...]

B'damn, they do!

From http://www.maglite.com/productline.asp:
"Limited Lifetime Warranty in the Western Hemisphere and Japan; Ten-
Year Limited Warranty Elsewhere."

Try 800 283 5562.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:
Puddin' Man wrote in
:

Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed
batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and
tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.

Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.

Any ideas?

No signs of battery leakage inside the tube?
(vinegar works good for removing alkaline battery leakage)
When you remove the front bell to replace the bulb,does the black plastic
part spring up and can it be pressed down and spring back when released?
That is how the lamp gets turned on.

it's common for the bulb filament to deposit a black film inside the
bulb,reducing light output.

I installed a Nite-Ize LED mod on my AA Maglite,and a tailcap switch,too.

Please, what's this "LED mod"? (and how to install it?) (and $cost?)

Ditto for tailcap-switch.

Does that mean that now you have TWO ways to turn (toggle?) it on/off?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

(David Combs) wrote in
:

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:
[...]

you can get just the LED module alone,or a kit of the LED module and the
tailcap switch. IIRC,Target had the combo for ~$8 USD. Wal-Mart just sells
the LED module for a tad under $5 USD.
Both come with a replacement reflector with a larger hole for the 3 LEDs.

Yes,you have the tail switch and the screw/unscrew methods.
the tailcap button is easier to use one-handed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 11:04 am, Puddin' Man wrote:
Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed
batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and
tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.

Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.

Any ideas?

Thx,

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

The highest resistance is at the butt-end. Between the screw-cap and
body, and screw-cap and spring. Anodizing is not your best conductor!

Posted to alt.home.repair

all maglites are anodized. Unless they made something in the dark ages that
were just painted or something.

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I can't speak for *your* mini-mag, or that of the OP, but none of mine
are anodized there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I can't speak for *your* mini-mag, or that of the OP, but none of mine
are anodized there.

The anodizing, my top-posting friend, is on the *outside.* The threads
on the back cap and the contact area for the spring are *not* anodized.
Posted to alt.home.repair

YO, old Smitty, my bottom posting friend. You are absolutely right. I had
never looked. I had to take mine apart to realize that.

steve

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I can't speak for *your* mini-mag, or that of the OP, but none of mine
are anodized there.

The anodizing, my top-posting friend, is on the *outside.* The threads
on the back cap and the contact area for the spring are *not* anodized.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
I can't speak for *your* mini-mag, or that of the OP, but none of mine
are anodized there.

The anodizing, my top-posting friend, is on the *outside.* The threads
on the back cap and the contact area for the spring are *not* anodized.

That said, the contact between the end cap and body is still the worst
connection on the whole flashlight.

--
Tiger Direct forcibly checking receipts?
http://tinyurl.com/2hz3ht

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
Had a little Mini-Mag 2AA for years. Worked OK. Lite got dim, changed
batteries, still dim. Bulb looked burned, replaced bulb. Tried and
tested different batteries. Cleaned contacts at base/end of unit.

Damned thang won't lite. Bulb OK, batteries OK, unit has not been abused.

Any ideas?

Thx,

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

Hi,
Probably problem with switch. Time to replace?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you know where I can get a new lens for a 3 D cell model? Every
place I have found want to ship it priority mail for $5. This is for
a $1 part.

Go to a plastic shop , buy a small piece and cut your own

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote:

Do you know where I can get a new lens for a 3 D cell model? Every
place I have found want to ship it priority mail for $5. This is for
a $1 part.

Go to a plastic shop , buy a small piece and cut your own

For some reason, I had not even thought of that. It would take me a
little time but I may very well do it.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/28/2007 7:36 AM Jim Rusling said the following:
"Rudy" wrote:

Do you know where I can get a new lens for a 3 D cell model? Every
place I have found want to ship it priority mail for $5. This is for
a $1 part.

Go to a plastic shop , buy a small piece and cut your own

For some reason, I had not even thought of that. It would take me a
little time but I may very well do it.

Every time you go shopping, you bring home items packaged in clear
plastic. Just cut out a piece from that. It may be thinner, but so what?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
g...
"Rudy" wrote:

Do you know where I can get a new lens for a 3 D cell model?

Do you know what one of those LONG 4 or 6 D cell units are used for? My
daughter used to carry it (she's a PO) but went to a smaller LED. She gave
it to me, and it's such a log, it ain't worth a crap for anything. I know
they're good for smackin perps, but now they got pepper spray and tasers and
snap batons. It's just a big expensive piece of crud in my estimation.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote:

"Jim Rusling" wrote in message
rg...
"Rudy" wrote:

Do you know where I can get a new lens for a 3 D cell model?

Do you know what one of those LONG 4 or 6 D cell units are used for? My
daughter used to carry it (she's a PO) but went to a smaller LED. She gave
it to me, and it's such a log, it ain't worth a crap for anything. I know
they're good for smackin perps, but now they got pepper spray and tasers and
snap batons. It's just a big expensive piece of crud in my estimation.

Steve

I have a couple of 3 Watt LED's. They are good but they will go
through a set of batteries in about 4 hours. I have put a LED in the
Maglight and it works just as good as a regular bulb. It will also go
about 35 to 40 hours on one set of batteries. It is also handy as a
club.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Rusling wrote in
g:

I have a couple of 3 Watt LED's. They are good but they will go
through a set of batteries in about 4 hours.

The AA version or the C or D cell versions?

I have put a LED in the
Maglight and it works just as good as a regular bulb. It will also go
about 35 to 40 hours on one set of batteries. It is also handy as a
club.

I put a 3-LED Nite-ize mod in my 2AA Maglite.
It's pretty good on batteries,and it gives a white light instead of the
incandescent's yellow.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik