Jerry Wass

Default MagLite with frozen battery

1: Procure a piece of thinwall tubing 6-8" long-slightly smaller than the
battery.
2:-File or Dremelize some teeth in the bottom end---not the top end! you want
chuck the top end in your drill press! If you have room, tape a strip of
paper
to the tube about an 1-1/2" above the end, wrap it around the tube in the
same direction your drill will be turning--do not expose the tape, it just
gets gummy.
3: Drill a little, shake a little--just don't drill too much.
This will relieve the internal pressure that is causing the little ba@#$#d
to stick

silver wrote:

what make of battery was it I had a five "d" cell maglite with
coppertop batteries and duracell replaced the torch (they garrantee
their batteries) and it was the battery closest to the bulb (murphies
law again I spose)
best rgds
silver

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:50:51 GMT, "Charles Friedman"
was bump'n their gums abowt:

I know that this never happens to any of you, but it did to me!

I have a small (AA size) maglite that has a corroded battery stuck in the
bottom. The top piece where the bulb inserts says do not remove, so I do
not have access to the bottom of the battery. I have scraped out all the
corrosion that I can reach, and tapped the hell out of the case, but no
movement. Can anyone suggest a nondestructive way (to the case) of
removing the battery?

Never drive Faster than your Gardian Angel can Fly

Mike Bartman

If that's too much like work, get a small drillbit and a long drywall
screw. Make a starter hole in the top of the battery so the screw has
something to bite into, then drive the screw into the battery, grab it
with a pair of Vice Grips (tm) or equivalent, and pull until the
battery comes out. If it's stuck too tight for this to work,
repeating the process a few times might let you claw the battery out
in bits and pieces, but it's likely there's enough corrosion in that
case to make replacing the flashlight a better option.

When you are done, clean the flashlight and the drillbit with some
baking soda in water (if it's foaming or fizzing, keep at it), then
wash in clear water and dry well, then inspect for damage from the
acid. Flashlight batteries, especially dead ones, aren't all that
dangerous...at least not compared to a fully-charged car battery. The
acid is more or less solid, and it won't burn your fingers...though I
certainly wouldn't suggest eating it or sprinkling it into your eyes
or anything, so a face shield or at least safety glasses might be a
good precaution when drilling and pulling.

The structure of the average flashlight battery is a cardboard case
around a zinc can filled with acid that's a lot like dried up modeling
clay or crumbly plastic, with a carbon rod up the middle and a couple
of shiny metal (steel?) end caps to act as contacts. I used to take
them appart as a kid to get the carbon rods out to use as electrodes
for electrolyzing water.

-- Mike

silver wrote:

[...]

To reply via e-mail, remove the 'foolie.' from the address.
I'm getting sick of all the SPAM...
jim rozen

In article , Mike says...

...what metal is the "M" in a NiMH?

I always thought it *was* nickel.

That really these are "nickel hydride"
cells.

Jim

please reply to:

RellikJM

Nickel Metal Hydride
Ni M H

--
RellikJM
RellikJM AT Yahoo DOT Com

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Mike says...

...what metal is the "M" in a NiMH?

I always thought it *was* nickel.

That really these are "nickel hydride"
cells.

Jim

please reply to:

Ivan Vegvary

Some real fancy solutions in the thead below. BUT the easy way is to send
it back to MAG light and have them deal with this. I have sent back several
and have never been charged anything.

Ivan Vegvary

"silver" wrote in message
[...]

Joel Corwith

I removed the light section and a piece inside and pushed from that end.
Once the battery is out the corosion will make the next one stick, so you
have to ream out the tube. If you can get the battery people to replace it,
that sounds best.

Joel. phx

dan

What's that Lassie? You say that Kenneth W. Sterling fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Sun, 15 Jun 2003 02:07:24 GMT:

Jim,
Any chance you remember the part number for the Radio Shack LED you
used? I would like to make one of these 2AA lights. And you are just
wiring the LED across the battery terminals without *any* resistor in
the circuit? I would have thought it would burn out.
Ken.

Check here for stuff about moding flashlights with LEDs.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubb...reads.php?Cat=
--

Dan