Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower Drip

Hi,

We have a Delta Shower valve in our upstairs bathroom that is
dripping. It is a single faucet system so it is the type you just
turn the handle and adjust another lever for the desired
temperature.

I tried setting it to just hot, or just cold, but it drips either
way. It's not a fast drip, but annoying and I really want to fix it.
Kind of makes the stall humid all the time.

The plumber told me it's a big job and the whole unit needs to be
replaced which means opening the wall from the back. It's a stall
shower so this could actually be done without removing any tile. But
the wall is wall papered and I don't think I have any of that paper
around.

Shouldn't this just be a matter of replacing a cartridge or something?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

The plumber told me it's a big job and the whole unit needs to be
replaced which means opening the wall from the back.

He is a theif. Never call him agian.

Shouldn't this just be a matter of replacing a cartridge or something?

Yes, there are kits at any hardware store to fix them. The shower handle
setup is very similar to th e fa ucets on the sinks. Two prings and two
rubber cups.

FWIW, I had to replace my shower faucet as it was un-repiarable. I made the
hole in the wall that was to the left of the sink. I have yet to paint it
as it was easy to just hang a mirror over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 27, 10:22 am, " wrote:
Hi,

We have a Delta Shower valve in our upstairs bathroom that is
dripping. It is a single faucet system so it is the type you just
turn the handle and adjust another lever for the desired
temperature.

I tried setting it to just hot, or just cold, but it drips either
way. It's not a fast drip, but annoying and I really want to fix it.
Kind of makes the stall humid all the time.

The plumber told me it's a big job and the whole unit needs to be
replaced which means opening the wall from the back. It's a stall
shower so this could actually be done without removing any tile. But
the wall is wall papered and I don't think I have any of that paper
around.

Shouldn't this just be a matter of replacing a cartridge or something?

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

I agree with the poster that said he was a thief. You could replace
the whole "unit" without tearing up the wall, but you probably only
need to replace washers and seats for a cost of around $5. The
biggest drawback to doing it yourself is that you need to shut of the
water supply to the shower, which may mean shutting off water the
whole house. If you run into complications that could be
inconvenient.
Just know that a plumber should be able to do this in minutes with
nominal cost for parts. Most have a minimum charge for showing up.
If they are honest, you really shouldn't have to pay much more than
that.