Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help with Kitchen Drain

Hello. Got a kitchen drain issue and I was hoping for some advise. I have
a double sink, disposer on the left, rinse sink on the right. We have been
experiencing slow draining on the disposal side and it especially sucks when
washes pots and stuff on that side. As it backs up, if I turn on the
disposal and pushes it right through. I was told by a neighbor that the
drain from the disposal to the trap may be clogged or that it needs more of
a down angle. I took a picture he

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/6283/1000814sg0.jpg

It ain't clogged. I do notice the the drain from the disposal is going
down, but that the hole assembly on that side is lower than the main drain
into the wall. Is this OK? It is kinda hard to see in the picture. To
move the "T" up above the main drain would require the disposal to drain
"up" into the "T" and this doesn't sound right either. The right side that
goes straight into the trap drains fine.

Could it be the disposal? We have tried a plunger, draino and some special
disposal cleaner all to no avail.

Thanks for any advice!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

WilliamC88 wrote:
[...]

As long as the disposal outlet is a hair above the
wall exit, it should work, but it's not the best
arrangement. To really fix it you'd have to lower
the wall exit point.

The TEE likely has a "baffle" built in.
That can restrict flow by quite a lot.
You could experiment by sawing the baffle out,
but with this arrangement you may get water
from the right side backing into the disposal.

A lot of work, but you could put 2 traps in,
with a WYE at the wall. That would/should help
the flow a lot.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WilliamC88" wrote in message
[...]

Could be that the "graters" on the side wall of the disposer are partially
clogged from waste build-up. Something easy to try -- turn on the disposer
and with the water running feed in a bunch of ice cubes. I usually run
an entire bin of ice through.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 25, 4:21 pm, "WilliamC88"
wrote:
[...]

Disposals need a nice smooth slightly downhill outlet to a wye drain
fitting. That's not what you have. Seems to me your plumbing system
needs to be redone by someone with more tools in his bag than a
hacksaw and a screwdriver. This project would benefit from some
professional help at best, or highy skilled DIY at the least.
Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 12:54 pm, Joe wrote:
On Aug 25, 4:21 pm, "WilliamC88"
wrote:

[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

I'd check the manufacturer's website for mounting limits. Your
disposal looks a bit low relative to the trap and outlet. If it's too
low, then standing water stays in parts of the disposal it shouldn't.

On the other hand, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. On my
disposal, if I've been washing dishes, prepping food, etc, at some
point it's not unusual for the disposal drain to start backing up
because small amounts of debris eventually clog it enough to restrict
the flow. I just turn it on, and it instantly clears.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 25, 5:21 pm, "WilliamC88"
wrote:
[...]

If it has worked in the past and this is a recent development, then
you should not have to change any of the plumbing. Have you taken the
drain apart? You've got some threaded connections there that would be
easy to take off and inspect for large clogs. The ice idea is good
to help unclog, but sometimes, with things like chicken skin, it still
won't help unclog it.