Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exterior Window Stops - Prime First, Then Caulk?

As part of a window replacement project, I'm going to be removing my
aluminum storms. I expect that this will expose unpainted window
stops.

Should I prime the exterior stops before installing the windows and
caulking or is OK to wait until the caulk dries and then prime/paint?
I'm wondering if the bare wood will draw too much moisture out of the
caulk for it to cure properly.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 11:28 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
As part of a window replacement project, I'm going to be removing my
aluminum storms. I expect that this will expose unpainted window
stops.

Should I prime the exterior stops before installing the windows and
caulking or is OK to wait until the caulk dries and then prime/paint?
I'm wondering if the bare wood will draw too much moisture out of the
caulk for it to cure properly.

Prime first. It's a holdover from the days of glazing compound, but
it's still good practice. The primer soaks into the wood a bit and
solidifies the fibers. Many painters swear by oil paint in that
application. Again, probably a holdover from oil-based glazing
compounds and first generation latex paints.