Posted to alt.home.repair

Default advice on porch repair

I have a porch that seemed fine when I bought the house two+ years
ago, but...

We have had heavy and frequent rains this summer and the minor leak in
my basement has turned into multiple nuisance and worrisome leaks,
creating issues in my basement.

I am not ready to replace the concrete porch at this time and am
looking for advice how to prevent leaking.

Please view pictures of the porch at http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/c...trocket/porch/

Problems I am concerned about:
1) The concrete ceiling under the left porch corner is crumbling and
falling to the floor. The ceiling area is about 12x18 inches.
2) Three inches or so of water is collected in 5 gallon bucket placed
next to the door frame under the right porch corner during a heavy
rain. The water seems to flow down the heavy wooden beam.
3) For the first time in three summers, water is also leaking in at
the right front area of the porch floor.

Thank you for reading! Any and all ideas will be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote on 22 Aug 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

[...]

Disclaimer: I'm a handyman, so I do everything, but I'm not an expert at
anything.

I think I'd start with free estimates from several foundation companies
to rule out serious problems that may be the root cause of your
symptoms. This recommendation is based on the cracks in the brickwork.

I notice there's no expansion joint between the concrete and the wall.
That makes me worry. Also, the general quality of the concrete work
seems poor. Does it slope properly to shed water away from the house? It
should slope at least 1/4" per foot. It looks to me, from your photos,
like the soil under the porch has subsided, causing it to sink unevenly.

I know you said you don't want to replace the porch, but that may be
your quickest, cheapest, and best solution. You can do the heavy
demolition work yourself, and leave the concrete work to a pro. The rent
on a small jackhammer for a day is low, as is the rent on a plate
compactor.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Most water that appears under your house comes from your roof. Make sure
your gutters and downspouts are working properly and that the water is piped
away from your foundation. If you have existing pipes don't trust that they
were correctly installed. Make sure they are removing the water properly.

LCD TV Repair - Need Advice...help! [email protected] Electronics Repair 4 January 12th 06 03:55 PM
Porch Furniture Repair [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 26th 05 04:36 PM
VCR repair advice Eric G Electronics Repair 9 January 13th 04 12:52 AM
Wall Repair Advice ripper UK diy 3 January 12th 04 08:47 AM
Advice on painting/staining front porch kristen Home Ownership 1 July 8th 03 12:15 AM