Posted to alt.home.repair

Default large plaster walls

Just bought a building with large plaster walls (130 ft long and 20 ft
tall) that need paint, but are bumpy, uneven, and have large "paint
runs" in them

I'm not too picky how they are fixed, just looking for the easy/cheap
way to make them acceptable for a bar or nightclub. The walls are old
plaster and hard as nails. Over that are a few coats of old paint that
are also very sturdy. On top of the old paint is a thick layer of
latex that can be pealed off. Easily in some areas, not so easily in
others.

My questions:
Does the Latex need to be completely removed? And how?

Are there textured paints that are rough enough to hide bumps, lines
and ridges in the old plaster? Would it look really tacky?

The thought of skim coating that large wall isn't pleasant. Would a
happy medium between skim coating and rough textured paint be my best
option?

I thought about furring strips and drywall, but by the time you add
that up, it's about $3K per wall.

Thanks!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Beatniks" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

This may seem like an odd question, but what's the likely age range of your
customers, and what will the lighting be like?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
Beatniks wrote:

[...]

You could hang some fabric, which would also lessen reflected noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 11:03 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article . com,

Beatniks wrote:
[...]

Good questions! I had thought about hiding parts of the wall with
lighting and/or stage curtains, but I'd like to improve the property
as it may rent to an Italian Restaurant in about 18 months.

I got an email from a guy that would skim coat and put a rough
texture on it with a brush. That might be the way to go.

jb

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Try a pole sander with coarse sand paper, it will take the bumps, nubs and
paint runs off quickly, but if the wall is rough with bad patches and other
problems it won't help much.

"Beatniks" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...

Beatniks wrote:
[...]

Note well- in a public space like that, any sort of fabric or other stuff
you hang has to be fire retardent. Be a damn shame to lay out a bunch of
cash, and then have the insurance guy and/or local Fire/Code inspector order
you to rip it down.

On a wall that big, a commercial painter would use tools involving
compressed air, and likely something with a hopper filled from a bag.

Me, I'd hire the art class from the local high school or junior college, to
do a mural.

aem sends...

New plaster walls Mogga UK diy 24 June 10th 07 11:07 PM
Plaster Walls? JerryC Home Repair 9 January 10th 07 06:23 AM
Plaster repair of large section Kobra Home Repair 1 July 31st 06 01:31 PM
Replacing plaster walls zxcvbob Home Repair 3 February 20th 06 06:33 PM
papering plaster walls [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 6th 05 12:00 PM