Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sonofabitchsky@hotmail.com is offline

Default large plaster walls

On Aug 21, 10:15 am, Beatniks wrote:
On Aug 20, 11:03 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

In article . com,

Beatniks wrote:
Just bought a building with large plaster walls (130 ft long and 20 ft
tall) that need paint, but are bumpy, uneven, and have large "paint
runs" in them

I'm not too picky how they are fixed, just looking for the easy/cheap
way to make them acceptable for a bar or nightclub. The walls are old
plaster and hard as nails. Over that are a few coats of old paint that
are also very sturdy. On top of the old paint is a thick layer of
latex that can be pealed off. Easily in some areas, not so easily in
others.

My questions:
Does the Latex need to be completely removed? And how?

Are there textured paints that are rough enough to hide bumps, lines
and ridges in the old plaster? Would it look really tacky?

The thought of skim coating that large wall isn't pleasant. Would a
happy medium between skim coating and rough textured paint be my best
option?

I thought about furring strips and drywall, but by the time you add
that up, it's about $3K per wall.

Thanks!!!

You could hang some fabric, which would also lessen reflected noise.

Good questions! I had thought about hiding parts of the wall with
lighting and/or stage curtains, but I'd like to improve the property
as it may rent to an Italian Restaurant in about 18 months.

I got an email from a guy that would skim coat and put a rough
texture on it with a brush. That might be the way to go.

jb

Texture gun?