Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plaster repair of large section

Hello all,

I am in an old house with plaster walls. In one bedroom a roof leak caused
a whole section of plaster to fall off the ceiling and at an inside corner.
The hole is one big section, not multiple sections. It's size is about 5' X
8' and the plaster is a bit greater than 1/2" thick.

I have some questions:

1) Where can you buy the silica-based plaster (brown coat) for the base
coat and same question for the top or finish coat? People at home depot and
lowes look at me like I have ten eyes in my head.

2) How thick should the first coat be?

3) Is it just a base coat and a top coat or two base coats and one top
coat?

4) I visited
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_wal...685862,00.html .
Are there any other sites that described this ancient process?

5) Do I need the make the plaster thicker for the ceiling section?

Thanks for any input from this knowledgible group.

Gene

Posted to alt.home.repair

can't help you with plaster techniques. for getting the materials, i
would look up drywall supply in the yellow pages. the town i live in
has two yards that do nothing but supply drywall and related products.
if you strike out there, try the biggest actual lumberyard that
caters to contractors. they will actually know what plaster is, unlike
HD.

Plaster repair wendih6 Home Repair 9 April 19th 06 12:54 AM
International School of Blog Repair Cliff Metalworking 0 March 27th 06 12:51 PM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. Draft 2 John Rumm UK diy 55 March 13th 05 01:27 AM
How to repair a section of top layer of plywood only? Howie UK diy 8 February 6th 05 09:08 AM