Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buzzing on phone line? New Day

On Aug 21, 1:35 pm, Jethro wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:44:55 GMT, Jethro wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 07:48:02 -0700, RickH
wrote:

On Aug 21, 5:43 am, Jethro wrote:
This AM it is raining cats and dogs. Despite that, I tripped the main
breaker in the outside circuit breaker box to disable all electricity
into my house. My hope was that the buzzing would be gone. Alas,
such is not the case - still have the buzzing. Next I completely
disabled my burglar alarm - disconnected the 110V source power to it
plus I removed its backup battery. It is now dead. I wish I could
say the same for the buzzing. Still there.

I am thinking that since the buzzing is gone in a phone connected JUST
to the outside phone box (?called a demarcation box?) using an extra
corded phone I have, that the problem has to be in my house. I would
think that if a surge had damaged the outside phone box, that this
test would have shown buzzing there also.

I am thinking of running one length of phone wire from the outside box
to one phone inside the house (I have one near a close window). I'll
betcha the buzzing will be gone, in which case, I would have to
replace all the wiring one phone outlet at a time. This will be
difficult for this senior citizen.

BTW, I can see me sledge hammering the telephone pole - but no worry,
I don't have one. My phone wiring is underground (at least within
this development).

Thanks all

Jethro

If you have 2 pairs (4 wire cable) running through your entire house
already then you can also switch to a different pair, or just switch
one of the wires for a different one. You only need 2 wires, the
other 2 just sit there (unless you have 2 lines). When you run the
new feed in, maybe connect it to the unused pair of your existing
wiring, then see if that gives you no hum at your most distant jack
(you'll have to switch to the new wire at that jack too). If ok, then
all you'll have to do is swicth to the new wire at each jack and know
that the previous wire is undependable.

I just got back from the doctor who keeps me alive.
As it happens, I do have a second line, but just to my computer room
that I used back when I only had dialup and not cable ISP. I had a
separate line for the dialup, long since cancelled. The wires are
still in the outside box, so I did what you suggest. The computer
room phone is terrible! The interference is twice as bad, if that is
possible, Anyway, I guess that won't work. Good idea though.

I know this doesn't help but for new construction this is why it's
always better to "home run" each room to a terminal strip instead of
daisy chaining the jacks. So a problem with any single room can be
made to not affect the whole house, by just switching pairs or
disconnecting the offending room. More wire but it's worth it
someday.

If worse comes to worse you can rewire one good jack nearby the
security panel, then replace all your phones with a wireless base
station.

I decided to run a new set of wires from the outside box through a
nearby window to the phone jack near there. The phone connected there
now works just fine, clear and distinct. Since it is a portable
phone, mama can carry said phone to whatever room she is in. Thus
marriage is saved.

Congrats

Now what I need to do is instead connect the new wire to the wires
under the house going to that phone jack. If the phone still works,
then that wire is okay at least. If not - I have found the problem.
Only thing is - I am senior and somewhat disabled, so I'll have to
figure a way to do that.

Thats what teenage boys are for.

Of course then I will have to attack the other rooms' phone jacks one
at a time (under the house) to find the trouble-maker(s).

So I guess I'll rest a while now.

Thanks all

Jethro- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Jethro wrote:

(snip)

The whacking on the LIGHT pole (not the TELEPHONE pole) is to irritate an
intermittant electrical connection. After the whack, if the buzz changes,
the problem is probably with the transformer on the pole you bothered.

Chortle. I love the terminology in the above. Going mano a mano with
anthropomorphized inanimate objects. Not a flame, I understand completely, I
truly do.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/21/2007 9:49 AM HeyBub said the following:
Jethro wrote:

[...]

Where I live, the electrical pole and the telephone pole are one and the
same. Not all electrical poles have transformers.
The only way to whack an electrical pole, which would do any good, is to
take your car and position it about 50 feet from the pole, then
accelerate into the pole. Any further than 50 feet will take the pole down.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Jethro wrote:

(snip)

The whacking on the LIGHT pole (not the TELEPHONE pole) is to
irritate an intermittant electrical connection. After the whack, if
the buzz changes, the problem is probably with the transformer on
the pole you bothered.

Chortle. I love the terminology in the above. Going mano a mano with
anthropomorphized inanimate objects. Not a flame, I understand
completely, I truly do.

Sometimes I get carried away with delusions of wordsmithery. I apologize for
the engendered mental pictures, but when I get angry I fuss like the third
monkey on Noah's gangplank.

That's what comes when you get your education from the restroom walls at a
Liberal Arts College.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buzzing on phone line?

In article ,
Jethro wrote:

Since the repairman wants $90/half hour, I am hoping someone of you
can suggest something I can try. I have until Thursday!

I suggest you use a telephone connected to the Standard Network Interface
device (SNI/demarcation point) until you have called your phone company,
cancelled the current trouble report and subscribed to their inside wire
maintenance plan. You can then call-in a report with little concern about any
charges.

If your trouble occurred coincidental to a power outage, it is often something
left plugged-in to the phone line that became grounded. Surge strips with
phone outlets are often the culprit. Anything with an external power supply
(cordless phone base, modem w/power supply, etc) can cause such a ground on
the phone line.

If you have unplugged *EVERYTHING* in the house that is connected to the phone
line - including the RJ31 security system interface IF it has one (it SHOULD)
- and the buzz persists, the trouble is likely a GROUNDED conductor somewhere.
This is usually VERY difficult to find, even for a professional.

I have seen more than a few phone cords protruding from a window or door,
plugged directly into the SNI (bypassing the house wiring). This should give
you some "breathing" time to get signed-up for the maintenance plan or for a
lesser-expensive professional to repair the trouble.

Phone wire, unless it is approved for DIRECT BURIAL, should never TOUCH the
ground outside or under the house. If there is such wiring, it is likely the
culprit. Good luck.
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jethro wrote:

As it happens, I do have a second line, but just to my computer room
that I used back when I only had dialup and not cable ISP. I had a
separate line for the dialup, long since cancelled. The wires are
still in the outside box, so I did what you suggest. The computer
room phone is terrible! The interference is twice as bad, if that is
possible, Anyway, I guess that won't work. Good idea though.

If there is more than one pair connected at the interface box, it is likely
only ONE is causing the trouble. Rearrange them, leaving one disconnected
at-a-time, until you find the faulted pair. Leave it disconnected and see how
crippled your inside phone system is without it. It may well be an abandoned
cable. Since switching your service to the formerly idle pair used by the
computer/2nd-line jack caused the same/worse trouble, I suspect the cable
running to THAT particular room - or something connected at the far end of
that run.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 07:24:04 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
Jethro wrote:

[...]

Thanks

If it ever stops raining here, I'll check just the computer room's
wires under the house. I know there are some junction connections
there. That is a good point - namely that changing to the second line
going only to that room maintained the problem - must mean the problem
most likely is right there somewhere.

Jethro

Help with interference on phone line spongehead Electronics Repair 2 December 14th 06 04:40 AM
Cutting Phone Line Dave Combs Home Repair 8 August 31st 05 11:56 PM
RJ45 for Phone Line Buck Turgidson Electronics Repair 4 September 5th 04 09:19 PM
phone line noise hank Home Ownership 8 December 7th 03 09:02 PM
Help On Fax/Phone Line Nick Home Repair 5 August 26th 03 12:39 AM