Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My Broken window

I want to know if a window can explode out due to normal Perth,
Western Australian weather, even if it was 35 to 37 degrees celsius?
The room is 5m by 3m. It has two windows and a sliding door and it was
the sliding door that supposedly blew out. I f any body knows the
answer, please reply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to know if a window can explode out due to normal Perth,
Western Australian weather, even if it was 35 to 37 degrees celsius?
The room is 5m by 3m. It has two windows and a sliding door and it was
the sliding door that supposedly blew out. I f any body knows the
answer, please reply.

Windows are different than doors and so is the glass. A window did not
break, but a light of glass did. There are many reasons a sliding door will
blow out.

In the US, at least, door glass must be tempered. Tempered glass does not
break in shards like regular glass, but it fractures into tiny pieces when
broken. This makes it safer if a person or animal should fall against the
glass.

Go here are read No. 6 http://www.alumaxbath.com/tech/tgb.htm

It may have been damaged weeks ago and finally, excessive or extreme
temperature of a good bang closing will cause the problem. It was not
necessarily the kids having a party.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 7:00 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I agree with the 'tempered glass scenerio'.
There are stresses in tempered glass that can cause shattering.
My tempered glass shower door shattered without external cause.
The result was a pile of tiny cubes with slightly curved surfaces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I once found my favorite coffee cup shattered in pieces on my desk at
work. Very odd. Who would borrow my cup, break it, and then pick up all
the pieces and leave them on my desk? Inquiring around, I pieced
together the story.

Seems the previous evening, I had left the cup sitting on the back of my
car as I drove out of the parking lot. A coworker ran shouting after me,
but I didn't hear him. Miraculously, when the cup fell in the street, it
appeared totally intact and undamaged, so he put it on my desk. Perhaps
it was time, or a very minor change in temperature through the night,
that finished it off.

Before you shout irrelevant, I'm aware that glass and ceramic are two
different materials. I'm just trying to amuse myself over here until the
sun comes up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to know if a window can explode out due to normal Perth,
Western Australian weather, even if it was 35 to 37 degrees celsius?
The room is 5m by 3m. It has two windows and a sliding door and it was
the sliding door that supposedly blew out. I f any body knows the
answer, please reply.

Is there any film applied to the glass? Any kind of shades on the inside of
the door?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 5:04 am, wrote:
I want to know if a window can explode out due to normal Perth,
Western Australian weather, even if it was 35 to 37 degrees celsius?
The room is 5m by 3m. It has two windows and a sliding door and it was
the sliding door that supposedly blew out. I f any body knows the
answer, please reply.

A tiny nick or scratch on tempered glass can
cause it to shatter when there is an extreme
temperature change. By extreme I mean when
the afternoon sun heats it up. A diamond ring
could easily scratch the glass near the door
handle. When I did a lot of commercial glass
work, I always recommended laminated safety
glass for the doors and windows around doors
in grocery stores because it made it harder for
wealthy white people to break into the place.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to know if a window can explode out due to normal Perth,
Western Australian weather, even if it was 35 to 37 degrees celsius?
The room is 5m by 3m. It has two windows and a sliding door and it was
the sliding door that supposedly blew out. I f any body knows the
answer, please reply.

I wouldn't expect it to happen. 37C is only 98F which isn't all that hot in
the grand scheme of things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to know if a window can explode out due to normal Perth,
Western Australian weather, even if it was 35 to 37 degrees celsius?
The room is 5m by 3m. It has two windows and a sliding door and it
was the sliding door that supposedly blew out. I f any body knows the
answer, please reply.

I wouldn't expect it to happen. 37C is only 98F which isn't all that
hot in the grand scheme of things.

It is if it's 65 degrees on the other side of the glass...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to know if a window can explode out due to normal Perth,
Western Australian weather, even if it was 35 to 37 degrees celsius?
The room is 5m by 3m. It has two windows and a sliding door and it
was the sliding door that supposedly blew out. I f any body knows the
answer, please reply.

I wouldn't expect it to happen. 37C is only 98F which isn't all that
hot in the grand scheme of things.

It is if it's 65 degrees on the other side of the glass...

I wouldn't even expect that to be a problem

I think the people suggesting that its latent stress in the tempered glass
are probably right. I was simply stating that 98F wouldn't be hot enough to
shatter the glass by itself. I wouldn't have thought I'd have to further
explain what I said, but I guess I was wrong.

Vinyl Window - 10 months old - Seam broken! Bendit Home Repair 6 January 25th 06 03:11 AM
Replacing broken window in French door [email protected] Home Repair 3 November 3rd 05 10:02 PM
Fixing a broken window crank toller Home Repair 9 July 21st 05 06:45 AM
Broken Window Syndrome RedOnRed UK diy 1 July 12th 05 07:48 PM
Broken Window repair cost? Simmo UK diy 2 February 22nd 05 02:13 AM