Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hvac companies

freind s 5 ton ac went out last wed.they had about 7 ac
companies come to give estimate, they all said unit was 20 years old and
wouldnt fix the leak.estimates were about 5000.00 and not a good time
for my freind to spend that much . its getting pretty bad when you cant
get a leak fixed..sunday i went to napa,got a ac compression fitting ,
cut out the bad part ,put it on,vacumed and recharged. i realize its an
old system,but i think you should be able to have a leak fixed if you
want with no guarantee. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
freind s 5 ton ac went out last wed.they had about 7 ac
companies come to give estimate, they all said unit was 20 years old and
wouldnt fix the leak.estimates were about 5000.00 and not a good time
for my freind to spend that much . its getting pretty bad when you cant
get a leak fixed..sunday i went to napa,got a ac compression fitting ,
cut out the bad part ,put it on,vacumed and recharged. i realize its an
old system,but i think you should be able to have a leak fixed if you
want with no guarantee. lucas

So why didn't you fix it in the first place?

Posted to alt.home.repair

i realize its an
old system,but i think you should be able to have a leak fixed if you
want with no guarantee.

Trade licensing essentially outlaws minor repairs by making it difficult
to enter the trade, restricting supply and raising costs. Thus the
market provides only more expensive repair methods (such as remove-and-
replace) even though a cheap, quick fix like your leak repair may be
well worth doing.

In other words, the licensed contractors stand to collect $5K installing
$1.5K worth of equipment, because they've colluded and licensed
themselves into an agreement to fleece you by that much. They will
justify such markups in their minds by the apparent costs of these self-
imposed restraints, rather than being honest with themselves that they
are running a legal racketeering organization. Anyone who tries to
operate more efficiently is forbidden a license and forcibly stopped if
operating unlicensed.

This is the trade licensing scam. You should be able to run an A/C
business without such artificial barriers to entry. Let those that want
to "protect the consumer" certify contractors who meet technical
standards, but don't force the uncertified from doing business. The
consumer can choose whether to hire certified contractors. This is
basic economic freedom. The US is quite unfree, a police state, in this
regard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:55:41 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote Re hvac companies:

The US is quite unfree, a police state, in this
regard.

And in many other regards too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Where did you dream up this ****?

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Where did you dream up this ****?

Please! Think of the children.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"HeyBub" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Where did you dream up this ****?

Please! Think of the children.

Oh my... are you talking about using the word "****" on usenet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:61e03$46c3bf4f$9440c41e$17848
@STARBAND.NET:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Where did you dream up this ****?

Please! Think of the children.

Oh my... are you talking about using the word "****" on usenet?

Think Foghorn Leghorn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 4:45 pm, wrote:
freind s 5 ton ac went out last wed.they had about 7 ac
companies come to give estimate, they all said unit was 20 years old and
wouldnt fix the leak.estimates were about 5000.00 and not a good time
for my freind to spend that much . its getting pretty bad when you cant
get a leak fixed..sunday i went to napa,got a ac compression fitting ,
cut out the bad part ,put it on,vacumed and recharged. i realize its an
old system,but i think you should be able to have a leak fixed if you
want with no guarantee. lucas

Believe it or not, it's actually easier to replace a whole condensing
unit than to replace a compressor or to repair a leak. I never cease
to be amazed at how lazy some HVAC guys are but it's all about
speed and profit. People want that AC working real quick and are
often willing to pay a high price for it. But for some reason, it's
very
hard to get people to pay for preventive maintenance. The $5000.00
price tag is not far out of line for a 5-ton system. A rough estimate
for me and my guys used to be $1,000.00 per ton for the then normal
10 SEER system. Now that the government (US) mandated minimum
efficiency is now 13 SEER, prices have gone up. I can't wait until the
R-22 units are phased out for the newer even more expensive higher
pressure refrigerant HVAC systems. I'll have to wear ear plugs to
preserve my hearing because of all the obscenities being screamed
at me when I give someone a price on a new system. All I can tell
them is "You voted for them, the people who passed these laws".

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

And new systems if you get 10 years of life
you better consider your self lucky
repair? don't bother by new one

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 15, 4:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Troll O Meter

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
| | | | | | | | | | |
^

"Went to Napa, got an AC compression fitting".
HAHAHAHAHAA. Better than a shower for waking me up in the
morning.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
: freind s 5 ton ac went out last wed.they had about
7 ac
: companies come to give estimate, they all said unit was 20
years old and
: wouldnt fix the leak.estimates were about 5000.00 and not a
good time
: for my freind to spend that much . its getting pretty bad when
you cant
: get a leak fixed..sunday i went to napa,got a ac compression
fitting ,
: cut out the bad part ,put it on,vacumed and recharged. i
realize its an
: old system,but i think you should be able to have a leak fixed
if you
: want with no guarantee. lucas
:
: http://www.minibite.com/america/malone.htm
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
[...]

Clearly you have never been involved in the operation of a business. If
you operate a service business of any type and fall into the "it only
has to work for a few more weeks" or whatever repair on old/marginal
equipment there is 99.97% certainty that they will behave as if they
paid for a new equipment installation and will become irate when it
fails in any way (including things that were not even touched). Business
operators know it is best to walk away when someone wants their "pinto"
repaired.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
George wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:
[...]

And some consumers are sick to death of being jacked by business owners
who shotgun* every repair, out of fear of call-backs that might expose
their incompetence or put a dent in their obscene profits.

Case in point: Female friend took her overheating car in to a
well-respected local auto repair facility. Comes the call, which I took:

"Car needs a new water pump, new radiator, new thermostat, new hoses."

Friend was unemployed at that time and in tears over the considerable
expense which she simply couldn't afford.

"How do you know it needs a new radiator?" I inquired.

Snotty response; "That's our diagnosis."

"How is that diagnosed?" I continued.

Even more short-tempered: "With a pressure test."

We went down to pick up the car, but didn't leave the lot until after
I'd confirmed that the radiator had not been tested, nor any other part
of the cooling system.

I put in a ten dollar thermostat, and that was the end of it. Except for
the giant sign I put in the back window of my own car, declaring the
facility to be "as crooked as the day is long." I drove around with it
for several months and met quite a few people with stories of their own.

If you think this account is an anomaly, well, all I can say is I
disagree. I doubt if there's one out of ten competent and honest repair
person in any trade. That's been my consistent experience.

*replace every component rather than troubleshoot to the component level
Posted to alt.home.repair

Part of the OP's problem is that they only had seven HVAC places come
in. Seven isn't enough places to find a good one. They should be
calling around and ask them if they are willing to do a simple repair
on a 20 year old unit before they even come out, and explain to them
that you don't care if newer ones are more efficient, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 9:28 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

George wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:
[...]

I have to disagree with you about you about your
competent and honest/repair person ratio. Most
of the tradesmen I know are good people. The
problem can be the company they're working for.
I have a friend who was a mechanic for a large
luxury car dealer and the things he was ordered
to do that he considered to be dishonest really
caused him a lot torment, so much that he had
to resign. He found a job with another company
that didn't rip people off. Those who are employed
by these large dishonest outfits are held hostage
by the fact that they have families and bills to pay
and quitting their job while telling the crooks off
could get them blackballed in the industry and
labeled a troublemaker. I've worked for some real
crooks in my life and my time with them has
always been short. Carma, with a little help from
me, always catches up with them and that makes
me smile.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:
[...]

I have experienced the same as your friend.

What I like is a company that teats their customers as long term and not
short term.

It takes time too show your customer that you are thinking of them and not
the holly dollar.

I have always thought my job was to save my customer money and it has paid
off for me in that when my custom=mars call me they know I am thinking of
them and not how much money I will make.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Where did you dream up this ****?

Please! Think of the children.

Oh my... are you talking about using the word "****" on usenet?

Think Foghorn Leghorn.

The kids today know words I've never used..... like W-O-R-K

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Troll O Meter

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
| | | | | | | | | | |
^

.

wrote in message
freind s 5 ton ac went out last wed.they had about 7 ac
companies come to give estimate, they all said unit was 20 years old
and wouldnt fix the leak.estimates were about 5000.00 and not a good
time for my freind to spend that much . its getting pretty bad when
you cant get a leak fixed..sunday i went to napa,got a ac
compression fitting , cut out the bad part ,put it on,vacumed and
recharged. i realize its an old system,but i think you should be
able to have a leak fixed if you want with no guarantee. lucas

Yup - you are right. All the air conditioning and heating contractors are
fat, and happy living in their luxary homes with big fancy cars and smoking
huge cigars! You are right, all they want to do is rip people off........

Idiot

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair

George writes:

Clearly you have never been involved in the operation of a business.

On the contrary, that's how I know how the racket works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zyp wrote:

The kids today know words I've never used..... like W-O-R-K

Then there's the one about the southern bride who came back from her
honeymoon in tears. When her mother asked her the problem she replied that
her husband was always using nasty four-letter words: DUST, WASH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now that I'm weaned, I usually don't go to companies that want to
teat me. I usually only have holly dollars around Christmas time.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Moe Jones" wrote in message
:
: I have experienced the same as your friend.
:
: What I like is a company that teats their customers as long
term and not
: short term.
:
: It takes time too show your customer that you are thinking of
them and not
: the holly dollar.
:
: I have always thought my job was to save my customer money and
it has paid
: off for me in that when my custom=mars call me they know I am
thinking of
: them and not how much money I will make.
:
: --
: Moe Jones
: HVAC Service Technician
: Energy Equalizers Inc.
: Houston, Texas
: www.EnergyEqualizers.com
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote: So why didn't you fix it in the first place?
------------------------------------ they thought
an hvac company could fix a simple leak.. when our seven locals
couldnt.they asked who does mine and my rental properties. i said i did
,,and they asked me to fix it. my heart wasnt in it,bu it was 105
degrees last few weeks..now they were willing to have it done with no
guarantee in writing. but the hvac guys wouldnt/couldnt do it.. i think
they are just parts replacement repairmen,no real skill in fixing a
leak. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Where did you dream up this ****?

Please! Think of the children.

Oh my... are you talking about using the word "****" on usenet?

Lookit here son, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? He
scared 'em! That Rhode Island Red turned white. Then blue. Rhode Island.
Red, white, and blue. That's a joke, son. A flag waver. You're built too
low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep
pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the
ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is.

Foghorn Leghorn

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 18, 12:52 am, "Zyp" wrote:
wrote:
wrote: So why didn't you fix it in the first place?
------------------------------------ they thought
an hvac company could fix a simple leak.. when our seven locals
couldnt.they asked who does mine and my rental properties. i said i
did ,,and they asked me to fix it. my heart wasnt in it,bu it was 105
degrees last few weeks..now they were willing to have it done with no
guarantee in writing. but the hvac guys wouldnt/couldnt do it.. i
think they are just parts replacement repairmen,no real skill in
fixing a leak. lucas

So where / what state are you in?

--
Zyp