Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default RECALL: Skil(r) brand Circular Saws

NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs
Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 15, 2007
Release #07-275

Firm's Recall Hotline: (866) 761-5572
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Robert Bosch Tool Corp. Recalls Skil(r) Circular Saws Due to
Laceration
Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in
cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary
recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using
recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Skil(r) brand Circular Saws

Units: About 811,000

Manufacturer: Robert Bosch Tool Corp., of Mount Prospect, Ill.

Hazard: The trigger switch on the circular saw can be locked on or the
switch can be turned on without the use of the safety lock-out. This
can
cause unexpected operation of the saw, posing a risk of laceration.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received five reports of the saw
staying on after the user released the trigger. No injuries have been
reported.

model
numbers 5650, 5700, 5750 and 5755. The model number and date code are
printed on the nameplate located on the front of the saw. The recall
includes the following date codes:

28101 - 29231
38101 - 39231
48101 - 49231
58101 - 59231
68101 - 69231

No other models or date codes are included in this recall.

Sold at: Home centers and independent hardware retailers nationwide
from
January 2002 through December 2006 for between $70 and $80.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled saws and
contact the firm for instructions on obtaining a free repair.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact the Robert Bosch
Tool Corp. toll-free at (866) 761-5572 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. CT
Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.skil.com

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the
recalled product, please go to:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07275.html
Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

I guess this is OK, but I NEVER plug in a saw/drill and don't
expect it to come on. Sharp, spinning blades just make me
naturally cautious.

Now if the thing is prone to come on unexpectedly, then yeah,
that is a cause for concern.

kpg
Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 5:28 pm, "kpg*" wrote:
I guess this is OK, but I NEVER plug in a saw/drill and don't
expect it to come on. Sharp, spinning blades just make me
naturally cautious.

Now if the thing is prone to come on unexpectedly, then yeah,
that is a cause for concern.

kpg

- I guess this is OK, but I NEVER plug in a saw/drill and don't expect
it to come on.

Good for you...cautious thinking. However, did you miss the part of
the post that says "The firm has received five reports of the saw
*staying on* after the user released the trigger." That's not a cause
for concern?

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:28:58 GMT, "kpg*" wrote:

I guess this is OK, but I NEVER plug in a saw/drill and don't
expect it to come on. Sharp, spinning blades just make me
naturally cautious.

Now if the thing is prone to come on unexpectedly, then yeah,
that is a cause for concern.

kpg

That explains what happened to my saw. I could have swore I saw it go
scooting up the road last saturday night after I finished using it in
the garage. I had just finished off my first beer for the evening
when I saw something looking like a Skil saw shoot across my lawn and
up the road. I know it was not the beer. On Sunday the saw was gone,
and the extension cord was stretched out across my lawn. I suppose
the saw started on it's own, ran across the lawn until the cord
unplugged, and kept going till it stopped. I wonder where it went? I
hope no one was injured or killed.......