Posted to alt.home.repair

Default deck disaster?

Hello, all.
I hope someone can help. I have a 5 year old pressure treated pine
deck that was stained dark grey a week after it was installed. Now
the stain is very worn away. I pressure washed the deck and most of
the stain just vanished. How do I get rid of the stain that remains
(like under where the patio table was)? I would prefer not to use a
chemical stripper if I can at all avoid it. Can I leave it over the
winter and then wash it again?

Do I have to sand it? What about scraping it?

Thanks for helping me.

Sheryl

Posted to alt.home.repair

"sheryl" wrote in message
oups.com...
How do I get rid of the stain that remains
(like under where the patio table was)? I would prefer not to use a
chemical stripper if I can at all avoid it. Can I leave it over the
winter and then wash it again?

Do I have to sand it? What about scraping it?

Thanks for helping me.

Sheryl

Expose it to the sun and over the winter and good chance most of what
remains will be easily washed away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 14, 9:19 pm, sheryl wrote:
Hello, all.
I hope someone can help. I have a 5 year old pressure treated pine
deck that was stained dark grey a week after it was installed. Now
the stain is very worn away. I pressure washed the deck and most of
the stain just vanished. How do I get rid of the stain that remains
(like under where the patio table was)? I would prefer not to use a
chemical stripper if I can at all avoid it. Can I leave it over the
winter and then wash it again?

Do I have to sand it? What about scraping it?

Thanks for helping me.

Sheryl

I too wanted to avoid a chemical stripper, and sanded my deck down to
what I thought was bare wood. Lot of work, even with a floor sander.
But even so, stains and sealers often have wax/oil in them and these
can get deep into the wood and would require quite deep sanding, as I
discovered when I put on a product that required bare wood. I didn't
have bare wood, tho it looked like I did, and I had to chemically
strip off the new product and the old. That said, it was a lot less
work than sanding. Protect your plants and use lots of water. Let it
sit over the winter and decide if you need to strip it in the spring.
But the chemical strippers actually seem to work pretty well.

DIY disaster ARWadsworth UK diy 29 September 14th 07 07:50 PM
Mac Disaster The Medway Handyman UK diy 315 July 4th 07 09:27 PM
diy disaster fido UK diy 2 April 22nd 07 06:35 PM
Potential Disaster! [email protected] UK diy 7 August 20th 05 01:09 AM
Disaster Gunner Metalworking 69 October 22nd 03 01:18 PM