Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to install carpet and underpad directly on basement concrete

I'm putting down carpet in my basement and I want to know what the
best way of installing it would be.
My main questions a
1. Should I be using tack strips? (and how)
2. Do I need to use carpet stretching tools?
3. Would the carpet shift around if I were just to lay it down?

I've read some posts about people glueing it directly to the concrete,
but I don't see how that would work if I'm also using underpadding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 2:16 pm, wrote:
I'm putting down carpet in my basement and I want to know what the
best way of installing it would be.
My main questions a
1. Should I be using tack strips? (and how)
2. Do I need to use carpet stretching tools?
3. Would the carpet shift around if I were just to lay it down?

I've read some posts about people glueing it directly to the concrete,
but I don't see how that would work if I'm also using underpadding.

I'm not doing it myself, but the guy is coming to measure my concrete
floor tonight and insall the tack strips by gluing them down. When
the carpet finally comes in a few weeks, the tack strips will be solid
and they will stretch install it like any other floor. I'm going with
a breathable felt pad since the concrete has radiant heat.

The only reason my tack strips are being glued is because I have
radiant heat tubing in the concrete, otherwise I think they nail shoot
them down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 3:16 pm, wrote:
I'm putting down carpet in my basement and I want to know what the
best way of installing it would be.
My main questions a
1. Should I be using tack strips? (and how)
2. Do I need to use carpet stretching tools?
3. Would the carpet shift around if I were just to lay it down?

I've read some posts about people glueing it directly to the concrete,
but I don't see how that would work if I'm also using underpadding.

After being unhappy with traditionally installed carpet over asphalt
(part vinyl) tile in the basement, I threw out the whole mess and put
3/4 inch exterior plywood over the whole area, then a polysomething
indoor/outdoor type directly on the plywood, no glue, no tack strips,
no pad, no two-face tape. Installed in two rooms, after installing
the first room, about 19x15, I rolled the piano over the newly
installed carpet and finished with another 10 X 15 piece, then rolled
the piano back. Carpet did not buckle, move, or anything but just LIE
there. I did reinstall the clamshell moulding. If you have ever
tried to move a 11x15 area rug, you know why I believed that it would
work!! Been in place more than 20 years, was a 700 buck remnant, no
stains, no wear, except under the chair and sofa legs.