Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa Grandpa is offline

Default Best way to install carpet and underpad directly on basementconcrete

wrote:
I'm putting down carpet in my basement and I want to know what the
best way of installing it would be.
My main questions a
1. Should I be using tack strips? (and how)
2. Do I need to use carpet stretching tools?
3. Would the carpet shift around if I were just to lay it down?

I've read some posts about people glueing it directly to the concrete,
but I don't see how that would work if I'm also using underpadding.

1. They make tack strips specifically for concrete. Once installed,
they are no different than tack strips for wood floors.
2. Yes, if you are using tack strips.
3. Yes it will.

They also make a liquid glue to hold the pad in place on the
concrete. Usually it is just dribbled about on the concrete, you do
not need to (nor should you) cover the concrete more than 5% with
the glue.

You won't have a moisture problem will you? Have you checked for that?

--
Grandpa