Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Paint for MDF?

I have some raw MDF shelving that I'd like to paint. The shelving might be
subjected to some heavy/sharp items or oily items, so I need something that
is durable and won't bubble up when oil is spilled on it.

What would be the best paint to use?

Thx!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Noozer wrote:
I have some raw MDF shelving that I'd like to paint. The shelving might be
subjected to some heavy/sharp items or oily items, so I need something that
is durable and won't bubble up when oil is spilled on it.

What would be the best paint to use?

As the other (so far) responder says, use a primer first. I'd suggest
that a latex enamel will be perfectly adequate as a finish coat for most
any application. For cleanup and durability, I'd recommend a gloss finish.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Noozer wrote:
Would it make more sense to really thin the first coat of primer, so it will
soak into the wood? I'd follow this with a coat of normal primer.

Not really. Primer is designed specifically to have the proper surface
adhesion properties for the following topcoat. Paint isn't intended to
serve nor function as a stain. Use the proper primer for the surface
and the selected topcoat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it were mine, I'd use oil based stain and polyeurethane on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 4:23 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
I have some raw MDF shelving that I'd like to paint. The shelving might be
subjected to some heavy/sharp items or oily items, so I need something that
is durable and won't bubble up when oil is spilled on it.

What would be the best paint to use?

Thx!

I use the following product to paint MDF that I use for shop
shelving / cabinets

Rustoleum High Performance Industrial DTM Epoxy Mastic

http://www.rustoleum.com/tds/9100%20...51_2032990.pdf

They call it mastic but its really a two part epoxy paint / activator
paint system.

It goes on pretty thick; two coats needed to develop suggested film
thickness

I have used it to make waterproof (temporarily) containers.

The stuff isn't cheap (~$80/gallon) but its bullet proof......not
recommended for longterm direct sun exposure (outside)

The stuff I've painted hasn't needed re-coat in 10 years +

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Noozer wrote:
I have some raw MDF shelving that I'd like to paint. The shelving might be
subjected to some heavy/sharp items or oily items, so I need something that
is durable and won't bubble up when oil is spilled on it.

What would be the best paint to use?

Thx!

Polyurethanes have it all over other coatings for abrasion resistance.
Since adhesion is not an issue with polyurethanes, simply thin the
first coat for penetration and apply second coat normally. System
gives excellent rsults on MDF with a $20 spray gun from HF and would
likely do just fine with a Wagner Whoopee Sparayer. HTH

Joe