DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paint for MDF? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/210675-paint-mdf.html)

Noozer August 13th 07 12:23 AM

Paint for MDF?

I have some raw MDF shelving that I'd like to paint. The shelving might be
subjected to some heavy/sharp items or oily items, so I need something that
is durable and won't bubble up when oil is spilled on it.

What would be the best paint to use?

Thx!

dpb August 13th 07 01:35 AM

Paint for MDF?

Noozer wrote:
I have some raw MDF shelving that I'd like to paint. The shelving might be
subjected to some heavy/sharp items or oily items, so I need something that
is durable and won't bubble up when oil is spilled on it.

What would be the best paint to use?

As the other (so far) responder says, use a primer first. I'd suggest
that a latex enamel will be perfectly adequate as a finish coat for most
any application. For cleanup and durability, I'd recommend a gloss finish.

Curmudgeon August 13th 07 02:30 AM

Paint for MDF?

Primer/sealer FIRST. Then look around for epoxy paint (first choice) or
porch paint (oil enamel) 2nd choice.

Noozer August 13th 07 03:03 PM

Paint for MDF?

Would it make more sense to really thin the first coat of primer, so it will
soak into the wood? I'd follow this with a coat of normal primer.

.. .

dpb August 13th 07 03:10 PM

Paint for MDF?

Noozer wrote:
Would it make more sense to really thin the first coat of primer, so it will
soak into the wood? I'd follow this with a coat of normal primer.

Not really. Primer is designed specifically to have the proper surface
adhesion properties for the following topcoat. Paint isn't intended to
serve nor function as a stain. Use the proper primer for the surface
and the selected topcoat.

[email protected] August 13th 07 03:52 PM

Paint for MDF?

If it were mine, I'd use oil based stain and polyeurethane on it.

BobK207 August 13th 07 05:21 PM

Paint for MDF?

On Aug 12, 4:23 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
I have some raw MDF shelving that I'd like to paint. The shelving might be
subjected to some heavy/sharp items or oily items, so I need something that
is durable and won't bubble up when oil is spilled on it.

What would be the best paint to use?

Thx!

I use the following product to paint MDF that I use for shop
shelving / cabinets

Rustoleum High Performance Industrial DTM Epoxy Mastic

http://www.rustoleum.com/tds/9100%20...51_2032990.pdf

They call it mastic but its really a two part epoxy paint / activator
paint system.

It goes on pretty thick; two coats needed to develop suggested film
thickness

I have used it to make waterproof (temporarily) containers.

The stuff isn't cheap (~$80/gallon) but its bullet proof......not
recommended for longterm direct sun exposure (outside)

The stuff I've painted hasn't needed re-coat in 10 years +

cheers
Bob

Joe August 14th 07 12:53 AM

Paint for MDF?

Noozer wrote:
I have some raw MDF shelving that I'd like to paint. The shelving might be
subjected to some heavy/sharp items or oily items, so I need something that
is durable and won't bubble up when oil is spilled on it.

What would be the best paint to use?

Thx!

Polyurethanes have it all over other coatings for abrasion resistance.
Since adhesion is not an issue with polyurethanes, simply thin the
first coat for penetration and apply second coat normally. System
gives excellent rsults on MDF with a $20 spray gun from HF and would
likely do just fine with a Wagner Whoopee Sparayer. HTH

Joe