Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dehumidifier freeze-up

I have a Kenmore dehumidifier which no matter what the temperature is ( in
basement 60-70 degrees, or testing it outside in 90 degree weather ) the
coils frost up pretty thick. The unit is about 6 years old. It can't be
the temperature causing this constant freeze-up. What can I do first before
chucking this thing and purchasing another unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 1:32 am, "Telstra" wrote:
Clean the return air filter"Al D" wrote in message

I have a Kenmore dehumidifier which no matter what the temperature is ( in
basement 60-70 degrees, or testing it outside in 90 degree weather ) the
coils frost up pretty thick. The unit is about 6 years old. It can't be
the temperature causing this constant freeze-up. What can I do first
before chucking this thing and purchasing another unit.- Hide quoted text -

Its likely low on freon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Install freeze stat.

Well, depending on your skill level, that is.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Al D" wrote in message
: I have a Kenmore dehumidifier which no matter what the
temperature is ( in
: basement 60-70 degrees, or testing it outside in 90 degree
weather ) the
: coils frost up pretty thick. The unit is about 6 years old.
It can't be
: the temperature causing this constant freeze-up. What can I do
first before
: chucking this thing and purchasing another unit.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine will always frost over when it first cycles, but then the frost melts
(after a minute or two), and the unit works fine. Do you give it a few
minutes to let the frost melt?

--
Bill

Another bewildered traveler, on the information superhighway!
"Al D" wrote in message
I have a Kenmore dehumidifier which no matter what the temperature is ( in
basement 60-70 degrees, or testing it outside in 90 degree weather ) the
coils frost up pretty thick. The unit is about 6 years old. It can't be
the temperature causing this constant freeze-up. What can I do first
before chucking this thing and purchasing another unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

If you have a 70 pint Kenmore and it was built in China and lasted 6 years,
you are blessed. Throw it away and buy a Whirlpool with a five year
refrigeration guarantee before that plant gets moved to China.

"Al D" wrote in message
I have a Kenmore dehumidifier which no matter what the temperature is ( in
basement 60-70 degrees, or testing it outside in 90 degree weather ) the
coils frost up pretty thick. The unit is about 6 years old. It can't be
the temperature causing this constant freeze-up. What can I do first
before chucking this thing and purchasing another unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/12/2007 7:56 PM Art said the following:
If you have a 70 pint Kenmore and it was built in China and lasted 6 years,
you are blessed. Throw it away and buy a Whirlpool with a five year
refrigeration guarantee before that plant gets moved to China.

Sears does not make anything!!!!! They don't make Kenmore and they don't
make Craftsman. They contract with other manufacturers to build their
tools, appliances, mowers, and everything else they sell under their
brand names, and have the company put their brand names on the item.
More than likely, that Kenmore Dehumidifier was built by Whirlpool, or
another large company, as are their washers, dryers, refrigerators,
freezers, ranges, ACs, compactors, etc.
You can tell who built the thing by looking up the first 3 numbers of
the model number and checking here.
http://www.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml

"Al D" wrote in message

I have a Kenmore dehumidifier which no matter what the temperature is ( in
basement 60-70 degrees, or testing it outside in 90 degree weather ) the
coils frost up pretty thick. The unit is about 6 years old. It can't be
the temperature causing this constant freeze-up. What can I do first
before chucking this thing and purchasing another unit.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Al D" wrote in message

I have a Kenmore dehumidifier which no matter what the temperature is ( in
basement 60-70 degrees, or testing it outside in 90 degree weather ) the
coils frost up pretty thick. The unit is about 6 years old. It can't be
the temperature causing this constant freeze-up. What can I do first
before chucking this thing and purchasing another unit.- Hide quoted text -

Like everything else it depends on appropriate use of the item.
Sounds like you have a very humid atmosphere and your unit is running
continuously in attempt to reduce that?
Maybe a bigger unit, or several units, and/or AC is needed?
We also have a small unit and at this time of year with warmer humid
air entering the basement where the dehumidifier is located, it runs
for long periods and dumps several litres each day before its float
switch stops it.
Only occasionally icing; provided we don't set the thing for the
lowest humidity level.
Am however considering changing the wiring so that the fan will run
all the time it is plugged in. i.e. if it ices up the fan will blow
ambient air; about 60 deg F through the iced up coils.

What does it take to freeze pipes? Toller Home Repair 25 October 9th 06 02:11 AM
Freeze protect TH Home Repair 7 October 4th 06 05:12 AM
Pc freeze [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 June 9th 06 04:49 PM
air conditioner freeze up GGF3 Home Repair 9 May 19th 05 01:53 PM
Freeze Less Faucets Patch Home Repair 8 March 26th 05 10:14 PM