Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

Default In ground sprinkler draining problem

I just moved into a house with an in ground sprinkler connected to an
irrigation well. The problem I am having, is that after a water cycle
the water in the pipes slowly leak out of one of the sprinkler heads.
The sprinkler, I assume, is at the lowest point and near the street.
Because of this I always have a puddle around this sprinkler and water
running down the sidewalk after the watering cycle.
Is there some kind of check valve I could install to keep this from
happening, or some other solution?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/10/2007 6:21 PM TH said the following:
I just moved into a house with an in ground sprinkler connected to an
irrigation well. The problem I am having, is that after a water cycle
the water in the pipes slowly leak out of one of the sprinkler heads.
The sprinkler, I assume, is at the lowest point and near the street.
Because of this I always have a puddle around this sprinkler and water
running down the sidewalk after the watering cycle.
Is there some kind of check valve I could install to keep this from
happening, or some other solution?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

If it's a pop up head, how about a little weight on it? Enough to keep
the water running out from gravity, but enough to open under pressure.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TH" wrote in message
ups.com...
I just moved into a house with an in ground sprinkler connected to an
irrigation well. The problem I am having, is that after a water cycle
the water in the pipes slowly leak out of one of the sprinkler heads.
The sprinkler, I assume, is at the lowest point and near the street.
Because of this I always have a puddle around this sprinkler and water
running down the sidewalk after the watering cycle.
Is there some kind of check valve I could install to keep this from
happening, or some other solution?

Add a drain valve to the line near that sprinkler. It would be buried, to drain
the water underground. These are valves that allow water to pass until the
pressure gets high enough, then they close, allowing the sprinklers to get the
water. Dig a hole under the valve, and fill it with gravel to give the water a
place to go.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On Aug 10, 4:51 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"TH" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Sounds like a plan! Thanks.
Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 6:21 pm, TH wrote:
I just moved into a house with an in ground sprinkler connected to an
irrigation well. The problem I am having, is that after a water cycle
the water in the pipes slowly leak out of one of the sprinkler heads.
The sprinkler, I assume, is at the lowest point and near the street.
Because of this I always have a puddle around this sprinkler and water
running down the sidewalk after the watering cycle.
Is there some kind of check valve I could install to keep this from
happening, or some other solution?

Thanks in advance

Do you have solenoid valves hooked up to these sprinklers, or just
direct from the well?
If you have solenoid valves, it sounds like it's not closing
completely. Opening it up and cleaning it out usually cures the
problem.
If it's hooked up directly from a well, try this test. If you have a
shut off valve between the well and sprinkler line, turn the valve
off.
If the leak stops, then somehow water is siphoning by itself from the
well to the sprinkler line. You coud install a solenoid valve after
the well to solve this problem, but then you will need some kind of
relay and transformer to turn the valve on at the same time the well
comes on.
If you don't have a shut off valve after the well, try to find an
alternative way to shut off the supply to the sprinklers. Thats really
the only way to know where the problem is coming from.