Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to fix this sprinkler head problem?

Hi,
My lawn has a dry spot and I think it is because the pressure to the
water is too high, I see a lot water actually sprayed outside the
lawn. So yesterday I did a "fix", after pull up the head, I see there
is a little screw on the top, I tried unscrew it, not totally, just
want to make it loose. Really I did not know I make it or not because
it is so tight, all I see is the whole head is turned with my
screwdriver together.

The problem is when I tested it, it did not work as I expected: it
is a 90 degree head, but the water come out 360 degree now!

Do you know what might be the problem?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 4:05 pm, Oren wrote:
On 29 May 2007 13:50:21 -0700, wrote:

Hi,
My lawn has a dry spot and I think it is because the pressure to the
water is too high, I see a lot water actually sprayed outside the
lawn. So yesterday I did a "fix", after pull up the head, I see there
is a little screw on the top, I tried unscrew it, not totally, just
want to make it loose. Really I did not know I make it or not because
it is so tight, all I see is the whole head is turned with my
screwdriver together.

The problem is when I tested it, it did not work as I expected: it
is a 90 degree head, but the water come out 360 degree now!

Do you know what might be the problem?

Thanks.

Sounds like the sprinkler head is a 0-360 degree type head. Turn the
head back down to close/tighten the pattern to 90. If adjusting the
screw, be sure to hold the sprinkler head to avoid changing the
pattern. (mine are Hunter brand).

A fixed pattern head, is that. A 90 want spray 360.

--
Oren

The sprinkler likely has 3 ways to control it. One is a screw setting
with a + and - arrow, usually at a slit covered by the rubber top.
Turning that controls where it stops on one part of the sweep, usually
the left. You control the right stop by turning the whol sprinkler
head. The second control is a set screw at the top of the nozzle.
This controls the distance the water goes. The third control is the
size of the nozzle, which can usually be changed to support a wide
range of flow rates.

It sounds like you adjusted the arc setting, instead of adjusting the
distance. Also be aware that different sprinklers use different types
of screw heads to adjust, ie screwdriver, allen, fancy key, etc.
Though I think most can be done with allen and small screwdriver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 May 2007 14:36:27 -0700, wrote:

On May 29, 4:05 pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

Mine are stationary pop up type, not the ones that flap back and forth
(name?) Is this what you mean? Given the OP stated he pulled the head
up and adjusted a screw.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 4:05 pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

Re-reading the question, it's not clear to me what kind of head he
has. First pass I thought it was a rotor type, which is what I based
my answer on. I thought he screwed with the arc setting. But you
may be right, he may have some type of fixed head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Re-reading the question, it's not clear to me what kind of head he
has. First pass I thought it was a rotor type, which is what I based
my answer on. I thought he screwed with the arc setting. But you
may be right, he may have some type of fixed head.

There are nozzles that are adjustable, either by turning a screw or
turning a dial thingy, which change the width of the spray pattern.