Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default basement

I am in the process of finishing my basement.
I need some advice on how to enclose the electrical service panel.
The problem is with all the conduits that come out of the top of the panel,
I cannot get a header in there in order to frame it..
Does anyone have any advice???
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 10:54 am, wrote:
I am in the process of finishing my basement.
I need some advice on how to enclose the electrical service panel.
The problem is with all the conduits that come out of the top of the panel,
I cannot get a header in there in order to frame it..
Does anyone have any advice???
Thanks

Frame that section of wall with 2x8 or 2x10 instead of 2x4 that leaves
a 4 to 6 inch floor to ceiling "pull out". Onto that pull out install
a regular pre-hung door of maybe 18 to 24 inches in width for access.
You want to have good access to your mains panel for the future, above
and below.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 11:01 am, RickH wrote:
On Aug 8, 10:54 am, wrote:

I am in the process of finishing my basement.
I need some advice on how to enclose the electrical service panel.
The problem is with all the conduits that come out of the top of the panel,
I cannot get a header in there in order to frame it..
Does anyone have any advice???
Thanks

Frame that section of wall with 2x8 or 2x10 instead of 2x4 that leaves
a 4 to 6 inch floor to ceiling "pull out". Onto that pull out install
a regular pre-hung door of maybe 18 to 24 inches in width for access.
You want to have good access to your mains panel for the future, above
and below.

If you dont like the full vertical protrusion, then you can keep the
wall flush over the mains panel, but soffit the entire length of the
wall above to accomodate just the pipe radius. In either case, to me,
full vertical or full horizontal lines created by pull outs look
better than small "tack ons" where only a small section looks
different that the wall whole. IOW work the whole wall for
aesthetics, not just that piece of it where you need to protrude.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think you mean header. Are you just looking for a way to
have a fastening surface for the drywall? A piece of metal stud
base plate turned on edge has about a 7/8 flange and it can be cut
to accommodate pipe.

Are you changing the panel cover out to a recessed type or are
just doing the best you can with a surface mount lid? It is often
nice to frame your new wall out enough to clear the box. You can
put a cabinet door type "cover" over the hole to provide full
access to the panel.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

. ..