Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage ceiling?

Was cleaning out the garage today... Still need to wire and insulate, but I
was thinking... Drywall is heavy. Is it smart to use for a ceiling in a
garage? Would 1/8" or 1/4" pressboard work?

2/3 of the garage is done with 2x10" trusses with attic space above. The
other third is 2x4" trusses (Might be 2x6". Can't remember).

Posted to alt.home.repair

The weight really doesn't matter that much. Even a light sheet of material
is tough to handle in 4x8 size. Do yourself a favor and rent a drywall
jack. I tried to put up a couple of sheets on my garage ceiling without
one, what a hassle. I went and rented one and it went *so* much easier. I
also used it to put up the 8' fluorescent light fixtures.

"Noozer" wrote in message
Was cleaning out the garage today... Still need to wire and insulate, but
I was thinking... Drywall is heavy. Is it smart to use for a ceiling in a
garage? Would 1/8" or 1/4" pressboard work?

2/3 of the garage is done with 2x10" trusses with attic space above. The
other third is 2x4" trusses (Might be 2x6". Can't remember).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
Was cleaning out the garage today... Still need to wire and insulate, but
I was thinking... Drywall is heavy. Is it smart to use for a ceiling in a
garage? Would 1/8" or 1/4" pressboard work?

Only if you want a major fire hazard. I put 1/2" and even 5/8" drywall on
garage ceilings all the time. Just about every new house has drywall in the
garage and on the ceiling. The trusses are designed to hold it. As J.A.
suggested, rent a drywall lift if you are working alone. A 4x8 sheet of
1/2" is easy for a single experienced hanger to hang alone on a bench. The
bench costs only about $250 and are not available from many places to rent.
If you have a pickup truck you might be able to do it with one other person
quite easily. Except in CA, you simply run the drywall across the trusses
(taper running across the truss, cut end along the edge of the truss), put
nails on each side of the drywall into each truss, and put 3 evenly spaced
screws across the face into each truss. On the butt joints (the cut edges)
you need to put nails or screws every 6" or so, at least 9 into each edge,
if you want smooth joints after taping.

It ususally takes 2 of us about 3 hours to do a whole 3 car garage, ceilings
and walls.

2/3 of the garage is done with 2x10" trusses with attic space above. The
other third is 2x4" trusses (Might be 2x6". Can't remember).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
Was cleaning out the garage today... Still need to wire and insulate, but
I was thinking... Drywall is heavy. Is it smart to use for a ceiling in a
garage? Would 1/8" or 1/4" pressboard work?

2/3 of the garage is done with 2x10" trusses with attic space above. The
other third is 2x4" trusses (Might be 2x6". Can't remember).

Good advice by other posters. Lightweight material will also sag and look
really bad after a short time.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 8:55 pm, "Don Young" wrote:
"Noozer" wrote in message

news:B78ui.42164$rX4.9192@pd7urf2no... Was cleaning out the garage today... Still need to wire and insulate, but
I was thinking... Drywall is heavy. Is it smart to use for a ceiling in a
garage? Would 1/8" or 1/4" pressboard work?

2/3 of the garage is done with 2x10" trusses with attic space above. The
other third is 2x4" trusses (Might be 2x6". Can't remember).

Good advice by other posters. Lightweight material will also sag and look
really bad after a short time.

Don Young

I'd check local code too. I'm not sure what pressboard is with regard
to building material, but I doubt it would meet building code in the
US. Drywall is typically required and if it seperates the garage from
a living space, it typically has to be fire rated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ps.com...
"Noozer" wrote in message

news:B78ui.42164$rX4.9192@pd7urf2no... Was cleaning out the garage
today... Still need to wire and insulate, but
I was thinking... Drywall is heavy. Is it smart to use for a ceiling in
garage? Would 1/8" or 1/4" pressboard work?

2/3 of the garage is done with 2x10" trusses with attic space above.
The
other third is 2x4" trusses (Might be 2x6". Can't remember).

Good advice by other posters. Lightweight material will also sag and look
really bad after a short time.

Don Young

I'd check local code too. I'm not sure what pressboard is with regard
to building material, but I doubt it would meet building code in the
US. Drywall is typically required and if it seperates the garage from
a living space, it typically has to be fire rated.

Thanks all!

I should have noted that this is a standalone garage. No other structures
around it.