Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage ceiling?

On Aug 7, 8:55 pm, "Don Young" wrote:
"Noozer" wrote in message

news:B78ui.42164$rX4.9192@pd7urf2no... Was cleaning out the garage today... Still need to wire and insulate, but
I was thinking... Drywall is heavy. Is it smart to use for a ceiling in a
garage? Would 1/8" or 1/4" pressboard work?

2/3 of the garage is done with 2x10" trusses with attic space above. The
other third is 2x4" trusses (Might be 2x6". Can't remember).

Good advice by other posters. Lightweight material will also sag and look
really bad after a short time.

Don Young

I'd check local code too. I'm not sure what pressboard is with regard
to building material, but I doubt it would meet building code in the
US. Drywall is typically required and if it seperates the garage from
a living space, it typically has to be fire rated.