Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default why doesn't central air conditioning use the condensate to cool the condensor?

I think my central A/C spends 99% of its energy dehumidifying the
house. The water just goes to water the shrub planted next to the
compressor outside. Why couldn't it at least be sprayed on the
condensor coils?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Actually I had a condenser years ago which sprayed water on the coils.

Nothing but trouble and rust! (Water lines get things growing in them and
clog, needs frequent maintenance, etc.) It would stop working about 3 times
a year due to these problems. Had to clean it out.

Also I have a window air conditioner which sprays the water formed onto the
coils (fan blade does this). Well some parts were starting to rust, so I
drilled a hole in the bottom to drain the water stop the spraying. Also was
a breeding ground for bacteria and insects.

This idea would be OK if everything (including all screws) were made of
stainless steel. But that is not the case.

"z" wrote in message
I think my central A/C spends 99% of its energy dehumidifying the
house. The water just goes to water the shrub planted next to the
compressor outside. Why couldn't it at least be sprayed on the
condensor coils?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Bill wrote:
Actually I had a condenser years ago which sprayed water on the coils.

Nothing but trouble and rust! (Water lines get things growing in them and
clog, needs frequent maintenance, etc.) It would stop working about 3 times
a year due to these problems. Had to clean it out.

Probably get much of the benefit w/ far fewer of the problem if simply
misted in the air ahead of the intake...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Bill wrote:
Actually I had a condenser years ago which sprayed water on the coils.

Nothing but trouble and rust! (Water lines get things growing in them

and
clog, needs frequent maintenance, etc.) It would stop working about 3

times
a year due to these problems. Had to clean it out.

Probably get much of the benefit w/ far fewer of the problem if simply
misted in the air ahead of the intake...

I put an old swamp cooler on top of my central air for a while. (Tucson)
Removed the condenser fan and just sat the cooler on top of the box. Hooked
the cooler's motor to the fan wiring and away it went. The cooler was old
when I put it there and it finally rusted out and I put the original fan
back on. Thought it would reduce the load on the compressor. Can't really
tell if it did.

They sell a "mister" style unit to cool the condenser coils.
http://www.acmister.com/products/

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yeah, the eqpt. is not designed for that.

Alternative uses?

Given I can't got no corn mash in the damned thang ... :-)

Folks pay good $ for bottled distilled water.

Iffen I connect a nice, clean drain pipe to the A-coil
and route it to a jug, would the result be materially
less pure than the bottled distilled water on the
store shelf?

AQ

"z" wrote in message
I think my central A/C spends 99% of its energy dehumidifying the
house. The water just goes to water the shrub planted next to the
compressor outside. Why couldn't it at least be sprayed on the
condensor coils?

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up.
The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up.
The monkey stumbled, mama.
The baboon fell.
The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!"
- from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Alphonse Q Muthafuyer wrote:
Iffen I connect a nice, clean drain pipe to the A-coil
and route it to a jug, would the result be materially
less pure than the bottled distilled water on the
store shelf?

From the mineral content, probably not. Bacteria/mold spores, etc.,
something else again, probably...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alphonse Q Muthafuyer" wrote in message
Yeah, the eqpt. is not designed for that.

Alternative uses?

Given I can't got no corn mash in the damned thang ... :-)

Folks pay good $ for bottled distilled water.

Iffen I connect a nice, clean drain pipe to the A-coil
and route it to a jug, would the result be materially
less pure than the bottled distilled water on the
store shelf?

ONLY if YOU ARE COOKING CORN UNDER the EVAPORATOR

"z" wrote in message
I think my central A/C spends 99% of its energy dehumidifying the
house. The water just goes to water the shrub planted next to the
compressor outside. Why couldn't it at least be sprayed on the
condensor coils?

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up.
The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up.
The monkey stumbled, mama.
The baboon fell.
The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!"
- from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"dpb" wrote in message ...
z wrote:
I think my central A/C spends 99% of its energy dehumidifying the
house. The water just goes to water the shrub planted next to the
compressor outside. Why couldn't it at least be sprayed on the
condensor coils?

Go for it...

Yeah, might as well help it to the grave yard!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Bill wrote:
Actually I had a condenser years ago which sprayed water on the coils.

Nothing but trouble and rust! (Water lines get things growing in them

and
clog, needs frequent maintenance, etc.) It would stop working about 3

times
a year due to these problems. Had to clean it out.

Probably get much of the benefit w/ far fewer of the problem if simply
misted in the air ahead of the intake...

I see you don't know much about air conditioning.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Big Al" wrote in message

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Bill wrote:
[...]

Yep, it's a great way to layer the condenser coil with calcium!!

Which decreases the efficiency!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:58:54 -0500, dpb wrote:

Bill wrote:
Actually I had a condenser years ago which sprayed water on the coils.

Nothing but trouble and rust! (Water lines get things growing in them

and
clog, needs frequent maintenance, etc.) It would stop working about 3

times
a year due to these problems. Had to clean it out.

Probably get much of the benefit w/ far fewer of the problem if simply
misted in the air ahead of the intake...

How about removing the coil and burying it about 6 feet in the ground?

It's called Geothermal... and it's not that simple. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Alphonse Q Muthafuyer" wrote in message
Yeah, the eqpt. is not designed for that.

Alternative uses?

Given I can't got no corn mash in the damned thang ... :-)

Folks pay good $ for bottled distilled water.

Iffen I connect a nice, clean drain pipe to the A-coil
and route it to a jug, would the result be materially
less pure than the bottled distilled water on the
store shelf?

AQ

That water isn't as pure as you think. I wouldn't drink it!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 10:38 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:28:27 -0700, z wrote:
I think my central A/C spends 99% of its energy dehumidifying the
house. The water just goes to water the shrub planted next to the
compressor outside. Why couldn't it at least be sprayed on the
condensor coils?

That happens to a certain extent in window air conditioners.

I doubt anywhere near 99% of the energy goes to de-humidifying. And
if you were to design a system to use water to achieve any significant
benefit in additional cooling of the condenser, I would think you
would have to have a lot more water than the amount generated by the
AC system. And with that type system would come more complexity,
issues of corrosion, cleaning, etc.

As another issue, there was a thread here last year about whether it
makes much difference putting the condenser in the shade, via some
well placed trees, etc. I would think it would and have also seen
that recommended many times, to reduce energy usage. But in the
course of that discussion, there wqs an actual study referenced that
showed it apparetly made very little, if any practical difference,
whether the condenser was in direct sunlight or shaded.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
ups.com...

I doubt anywhere near 99% of the energy goes to de-humidifying.

It's not.

As another issue, there was a thread here last year about whether it
makes much difference putting the condenser in the shade, via some
well placed trees, etc.

It doesn't, as there's not adequite 'cooler' air to make a difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Window AC are designed to spray the water on the condensor coils.
What usually happens is that the tray is full of water all the
time, and grows mold and slime. Since the condensor is wet, every
particle of dust for miles around sticks to it. And since it's
humid out (at least in NY State where I am), there is little
evaporation, so there is little advantage to the cooling.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't see water on the condensor
being very useful.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"z" wrote in message
oups.com...
: I think my central A/C spends 99% of its energy dehumidifying
the
: house. The water just goes to water the shrub planted next to
the
: compressor outside. Why couldn't it at least be sprayed on the
: condensor coils?
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

In theory, the water is distilled, cause it came from vapor,
without all the dissolved stuff. In reality, there may be some
dust from the air that sticks to the cold coil, and ends up in
the water.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Alphonse Q Muthafuyer" wrote in message
: Yeah, the eqpt. is not designed for that.
:
: Alternative uses?
:
: Given I can't got no corn mash in the damned thang ... :-)
:
: Folks pay good $ for bottled distilled water.
:
: Iffen I connect a nice, clean drain pipe to the A-coil
: and route it to a jug, would the result be materially
: less pure than the bottled distilled water on the
: store shelf?
:
: AQ
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:
I think my central A/C spends 99% of its energy dehumidifying the
house. The water just goes to water the shrub planted next to the
compressor outside. Why couldn't it at least be sprayed on the
condensor coils?

If the atmosphere is very humid, when you'd get the most condensate, you
would derive the least benefit from it since the high humidity would
slow water evaporation. The opposite would happen when the atmosphere is
dry. It seems that either way there would be little or no benefit derived.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 11:00 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Window AC are designed to spray the water on the condensor coils.
What usually happens is that the tray is full of water all the
time, and grows mold and slime. Since the condensor is wet, every
particle of dust for miles around sticks to it. And since it's
humid out (at least in NY State where I am), there is little
evaporation, so there is little advantage to the cooling.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't see water on the condensor
being very useful.

Hence Legionniares disease!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Has anyone ever heard of [evaporative condensers?] These little gems are
excellent for removing heat from large refrigeration systems. Mostly found
on the rooftop of large buildings.

Stormy:

Most window air conditioners use a "slinger ring" to fling the water onto
the condenser coil. This increases efficiency. The saturated condenser
temperature then will operate at the dew point temperature. Lower than the
dry bulb ambient.

There was a company in Texas called "AC2" who developed a water cooled
condenser for low tonnage use [residential]. The outdoor condenser used a
fan which forced air over a water cooled condenser coil and increased the
efficiency dramatically. The only problem was it had a high water usage
factor and many cities didn't want that. Somthing on the order of 18
gallons per ton per hour. The system had a timer that flushed [exchanged]
the sump water so the TDS [total dissovled solids] would not build up too
high. Thus the higher water usage. Don't know if the company is still
around today.

Zyp

"John McGaw" wrote in message
z wrote:
I think my central A/C spends 99% of its energy dehumidifying the
house. The water just goes to water the shrub planted next to the
compressor outside. Why couldn't it at least be sprayed on the
condensor coils?

If the atmosphere is very humid, when you'd get the most condensate, you
would derive the least benefit from it since the high humidity would slow
water evaporation. The opposite would happen when the atmosphere is dry.
It seems that either way there would be little or no benefit derived.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
http://johnmcgaw.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, I'm quite familiar with slinger rings. Been working on that
kind of equipment for 15 years or so. When I had my living room
AC apart earlier this year, I ran the evaporator drain out the
bottom pan, and drain it through PVC onto the lawn.

Why? Well, the couple reasons I mentioned in an earlier post.

I shoulda ran the drain out the bottom of the pan many years ago.
Where I am, summers tend to be humid.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Zephyr" wrote in message
: Stormy:
:
: Most window air conditioners use a "slinger ring" to fling the
water onto
: the condenser coil. This increases efficiency. The saturated
condenser
: temperature then will operate at the dew point temperature.
Lower than the
: dry bulb ambient.
:
:
: Zyp
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon ) said...

In theory, the water is distilled, cause it came from vapor,
without all the dissolved stuff. In reality, there may be some
dust from the air that sticks to the cold coil, and ends up in
the water.

If you want pure distilled water, you will need to condense the water
vapour on glass or stainless steel. Since I don't see too many air
conditioners using these materials, the condensate often picks up
something from the metal that it condenses on.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:7f52e$46b92ff1$9440c41e$5942
@STARBAND.NET:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Bill wrote:
Actually I had a condenser years ago which sprayed water on the

coils.

Nothing but trouble and rust! (Water lines get things growing in them

and
clog, needs frequent maintenance, etc.) It would stop working about 3

times
a year due to these problems. Had to clean it out.

Probably get much of the benefit w/ far fewer of the problem if simply
misted in the air ahead of the intake...

I see you don't know much about air conditioning.

Of course neither do you...

Coming from a complete moron like yourself, that doesn't hold much water.
Dragging up old threads to make stupid comments.
You're such a Putz.