Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Technique for mortoring in one brick?

I have a chimney with one double brick missing. I have the replacment brick, but
am wondering about the best technique to mortor it in place. I assume I would
'butter' the bottom of the hole and insert the brick. The question is, how to
best force mortor into the rest of the sides of the brick to firmly connect it
to the chimney? Any suggestions or references?

Bob F

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..
I have a chimney with one double brick missing. I have the replacment
brick, but am wondering about the best technique to mortor it in place. I
assume I would 'butter' the bottom of the hole and insert the brick. The
question is, how to best force mortor into the rest of the sides of the
brick to firmly connect it to the chimney? Any suggestions or references?

Bob F

Mix it up and squeeze it through a bag, sort of like a pastry chef. Or, if
the color matches well enough, they make mortar in a caulk-type tube you can
just use as is, with a regular caulk gun. I tend to use a combo of both,
depending on the individual application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 2:18 am, h wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

. ..I have a chimney with one double brick missing. I have the replacment
brick, but am wondering about the best technique to mortor it in place. I
assume I would 'butter' the bottom of the hole and insert the brick. The
question is, how to best force mortor into the rest of the sides of the
brick to firmly connect it to the chimney? Any suggestions or references?

Bob F

Mix it up and squeeze it through a bag, sort of like a pastry chef. Or, if
the color matches well enough, they make mortar in a caulk-type tube you can
just use as is, with a regular caulk gun. I tend to use a combo of both,
depending on the individual application.

Use masking tape or duct tape to protect the surroundinmg areas, then
with your hands force the mortar into the joints. It would help if you
had latex gloves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 22:50:24 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

I have a chimney with one double brick missing. I have the replacment brick, but
am wondering about the best technique to mortor it in place. I assume I would
'butter' the bottom of the hole and insert the brick. The question is, how to
best force mortor into the rest of the sides of the brick to firmly connect it
to the chimney? Any suggestions or references?

For one brick I'd pray that the mortar in a caulk tube matches close
enough. [let a sample dry to see how close it is.]

Then I'd butter the back- lay some pebbles in the hole to support the
new brick at the correct height- push it in and let it dry overnight.
Once it is firm I'd fill the gaps with the caulk/mortar.

How'd you lose one brick?

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
I have a chimney with one double brick missing. I have the replacment brick, but
am wondering about the best technique to mortor it in place. I assume I would
'butter' the bottom of the hole and insert the brick. The question is, how to
best force mortor into the rest of the sides of the brick to firmly connect it
to the chimney? Any suggestions or references?

Bob F

I always butter the gap's bottom thoroughly and the ends as well as
possible, slide the brick into place, wiggle the brick a bit to get the
proper thickness of mortar bed, and then use a tuck-pointing trowel to
push mortar into the top gap from a mortar board (not the graduation
hat!) or from a regular mason's trowel. Strike the joint after the
mortar has set up for a while.

There is a bit of technique involved but it is relatively easy. Wetting
the brick and surrounding area is a good idea and getting the correct
mortar composition is critical -- most modern mortar mixes are just to
hard and strong to work well on old brickwork.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]