Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default fixing sheetrock

I am having the interior of my house painted. The painters seem to be good
and they are doing minor sheetrock repairs that look ok. I am a bit
concerned about some major sheetrock stuff that they say they can handle but
I am wondering if I should call in a sheetrock pro. There are s couple of
outside wall corners (where 2 walls meet) where you can see the edge of the
tape almost the whole length of the corner one inch from the corner I
assume the tape let go or shrunk. The tape does not seem to be lifting.
They seem to want to just blend it in. I am wondering if the tape should be
pulled and replaced.

In defense of the painters approach, the sheetrock work was done by a "pro"
when the house was built new and there are lots of tapes that have let go.
In some cases the inside corners were (by design) not 90 degrees and they
used a plastic tape made for corners and it seems like the plastic was
either too strong and pulled away from the wall or not enuf compound was
used to hold it down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 11:33 am, "Art" wrote:
I am having the interior of my house painted. The painters seem to be good
and they are doing minor sheetrock repairs that look ok. I am a bit
concerned about some major sheetrock stuff that they say they can handle but
I am wondering if I should call in a sheetrock pro. There are s couple of
outside wall corners (where 2 walls meet) where you can see the edge of the
tape almost the whole length of the corner one inch from the corner I
assume the tape let go or shrunk. The tape does not seem to be lifting.
They seem to want to just blend it in. I am wondering if the tape should be
pulled and replaced.

Why is there tape there to begin with? Are you sure it's tape?
Outside corners should have a metal angle bead that is nailed then
covered with mud. If it's the edge of that which you;re seeing, then
just mud should be fine. If you have no bead, then that'a a problem.

In defense of the painters approach, the sheetrock work was done by a "pro"
when the house was built new and there are lots of tapes that have let go.
In some cases the inside corners were (by design) not 90 degrees and they
used a plastic tape made for corners and it seems like the plastic was
either too strong and pulled away from the wall or not enuf compound was
used to hold it down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 5, 11:33 am, "Art" wrote:
[...]

There is a metal bead there. I thought tape was put over the edge of the
bead. My mistake. I've never done sheetrock so I don't know much about it
except for watching a guy while the house was being built.

What about inside corners. If edges are loose should the tape be removed
and replaced or is sticking them down with more mud ok. The house is about
10 years old. Most of the sheetrock issues took place during year 2 and
have been stable ever since. Mostly inside corners many of which aren't 90
degrees, and were done with a plastic corner shaped material instead of
tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why is there tape there to begin with? Are you sure it's tape?
Outside corners should have a metal angle bead that is nailed then
covered with mud.

Two possibilities: tape on corner beads are in common use and it
could be one of those--basically a metal corner bead with integral
tape that is mudded on to the outside corner, OR the taper could
have taped over the metal corner bead. This is often done to prevent
prevent cracking on transition between sheetrock and metal corner
bead.
I think you should just let the painters fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 11:40 am, marson wrote:
Why is there tape there to begin with? Are you sure it's tape?
Outside corners should have a metal angle bead that is nailed then
covered with mud.

Two possibilities: tape on corner beads are in common use and it
could be one of those--basically a metal corner bead with integral
tape that is mudded on to the outside corner, OR the taper could
have taped over the metal corner bead. This is often done to prevent
prevent cracking on transition between sheetrock and metal corner
bead.
I think you should just let the painters fix it.

If tape is pulling from the walls, then it needs to be cut out and re
taped--I've never had success trying to stick down tape that has
pulled up. A good painter should be able to handle this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
hlink.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 5, 11:33 am, "Art" wrote:
[...]

The corner bead should be nailed where it's lifting and patched. Only If
it's really badly warped and kinked should you bother replacing it. Any
tape that's peeling should be cut out and patched, if minor, or re-taped if
major.

This is common wall repair that painters should be able to handle. Painters
are much more conscientious about the final appearance than most drywall
companies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 12:50 pm, marson wrote:
On Aug 5, 11:40 am, marson wrote:

Why is there tape there to begin with? Are you sure it's tape?
Outside corners should have a metal angle bead that is nailed then
covered with mud.

Two possibilities: tape on corner beads are in common use and it
could be one of those--basically a metal corner bead with integral
tape that is mudded on to the outside corner, OR the taper could
have taped over the metal corner bead. This is often done to prevent
prevent cracking on transition between sheetrock and metal corner
bead.
I think you should just let the painters fix it.

If tape is pulling from the walls, then it needs to be cut out and re
taped--I've never had success trying to stick down tape that has
pulled up. A good painter should be able to handle this.

If it's lifting, there was insufficient mud underneath. Either not
enough was applied, or whoever ran the knife pressed down too
hard, squeezing the mud out. Cut out the blisters and retape,
taking a bit more care with the mud.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Why is there tape there to begin with? Are
you sure it's tape?
Outside corners should have a metal angle bead that is nailed then
covered with mud. If it's the edge of that which you;re seeing, then
just mud should be fine. If you have no bead, then that'a a problem.

He is absolutely right.

Kate

--
______

Sheetrock qwert Home Repair 3 April 17th 06 06:30 AM
sheetrock qwert Home Repair 1 April 16th 06 08:48 PM
ceiling sheetrock DJ Home Repair 5 December 2nd 04 11:31 PM
Which Sheetrock Should I Use? x071907 Home Repair 2 April 22nd 04 11:55 PM
Sheetrock Meleah Foreman Home Repair 4 March 28th 04 03:15 AM