Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall repair

I have this small wall that has surface imperfections (not holes).
Heard about something called "skim coating" where you mix water with
drywall compound and apply it to the wall.

1) How thin should I make the compound before applying it ? Is it
just water + compound?
2) Can I use a heavy-duty textured roller brush (loops) to apply this
compound ? I have this one from Lowe's already:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00000159-LR638
(sorry if the link doesn't come out). I am ok with a "textured"
effect - at least it will be consistent.

I've also seen something called "texture paint" which you apply over
the drywall to also mask surface imperfections - is this a better or
worse alternative to skim coating with joint compound?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have this small wall that has surface imperfections (not holes).
Heard about something called "skim coating" where you mix water with
drywall compound and apply it to the wall.

1) How thin should I make the compound before applying it ? Is it
just water + compound?
2) Can I use a heavy-duty textured roller brush (loops) to apply this
compound ? I have this one from Lowe's already:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00000159-LR638
(sorry if the link doesn't come out). I am ok with a "textured"
effect - at least it will be consistent.

I've also seen something called "texture paint" which you apply over
the drywall to also mask surface imperfections - is this a better or
worse alternative to skim coating with joint compound?

How you proceed depends on how bad the joints are and if you want a smooth
finish or a textured finish.

For a smooth finish, spackle the bad joints with a decent compound and a
good applicator. If you are not skilled at this, don't try to get it right
the first time. It's easier for beginners to apply the compound one day at
a time, until it looks good and then sand for a smooth finish.

Texture will only hide minor imperfections ... you still might have to do
some spackle work up front.

Google for tips on drywall repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have this small wall that has surface imperfections (not holes).
Heard about something called "skim coating" where you mix water with
drywall compound and apply it to the wall.

1) How thin should I make the compound before applying it ? Is it
just water + compound?
2) Can I use a heavy-duty textured roller brush (loops) to apply this
compound ? I have this one from Lowe's already:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00000159-LR638
(sorry if the link doesn't come out). I am ok with a "textured"
effect - at least it will be consistent.

I've also seen something called "texture paint" which you apply over
the drywall to also mask surface imperfections - is this a better or
worse alternative to skim coating with joint compound?

Thanks.

You didn't really go into detail as to what the surface imperfections are,
so I can't say if a roller brush would help. But a skim coating is really
just a thin joint compound intended to smooth out shallow depressions, dark
patches on the drywall (hides them from showing through the paint) and such.
Personally unless there was a ton of them, I'd spackle them. They make a
tube version of spackle that you apply with a foam applicator tip - it does
a pretty good job really. Painter's spackle is what I think they call it.

I have some imperfections on my walls, most of it is air pockets that have
ruptured in the original joint compound. Sloppy work in my opinion, but its
not like I can do better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ductId=41895-0...
(sorry if the link doesn't come out). I am ok with a "textured"
effect - at least it will be consistent.

I've also seen something called "texture paint" which you apply over
the drywall to also mask surface imperfections - is this a better or
worse alternative to skim coating with joint compound?

Thanks.

Skim coating is the hardest drywall job there is and requires
considerable skill. It consists of applying a thin, uniform coat of
mud over the entire wall. Usually, only the seams and nail/screw
holes are done. The idea is to make it all perfectly smooth, as close
to plaster as possible.

If all you have are some areas with imperfections, I would focus on
fixing those with joint compound. The texture paint is another
option, but that isn't as easy as it sounds either and you have to be
willing to live with a wall with the textured look. I'd go with a
texture type wallpaper/covering before I resorted to texture paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
wrote:

On Aug 4, 5:24 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Really? It may be hard, but all the drywall work I've seen or had done,
by the time you put on the third or fourth coat, extending and blending
the seams, you've basically skim coated the whole surface. Maybe 90% or
so of the drywall has at least a bit of mud on it. Plain drywall looks
like sh*t when you paint it. I've seen texture sprayed on and rolled on,
but the hand trowel job always looks the best to me. And watching a pro
do it is a treat.

If all you have are some areas with imperfections, I would focus on
fixing those with joint compound. The texture paint is another
option, but that isn't as easy as it sounds either and you have to be
willing to live with a wall with the textured look. I'd go with a
texture type wallpaper/covering before I resorted to texture paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scratches, very small dings, small scrapes from removing old wallpaper
glue - all less than 1mm in depth. Many people would probably just
prime and paint over it - but these surface imperfections really annoy
me.

I originally thought using compound full-strength with a mud knife was
probably a bit excessive for the job, considering I don't have any
joint problems or holes or anything that would really require doing
true repair.

I remember someone had mentioned he mixed water + joint compound
(thinning it considerably), thought it was called "skim coating" and
somehow lightly (roller? knife? sponge?) applied it to his walls,
covering almost all surface imperfections - like a brand spankin' new
wall.

Thanks.

On Aug 4, 5:24 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:

You didn't really go into detail as to what the surface imperfections are

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Jesh,stop making such a project out of this. Get a gallon bucket of joint
compound and touch up the bad spots a couple of times then sand it with 180
grit sand paper. Yes us "pros" add a little water to our "mud" and mix it
with a half inch drill and paddle to loosen it up and get the air bubbles
out but for what you are doing it is not needed. The reason some thin it
"considerably" is because of DEAD ARM...."labor free" as I've heard it
called. I find I make more of a mess and it's a PITA to keep on your
Hawk...LOL

Drywall Repair SBH Home Repair 3 January 16th 07 02:51 AM
Drywall Repair [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 3rd 06 04:08 PM
drywall repair ericv72 Home Repair 4 May 13th 06 01:35 AM
drywall repair Patt Home Repair 2 September 19th 05 04:35 AM
drywall repair [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 24th 04 03:04 PM