Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Charles is offline

Default Drywall repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have this small wall that has surface imperfections (not holes).
Heard about something called "skim coating" where you mix water with
drywall compound and apply it to the wall.

1) How thin should I make the compound before applying it ? Is it
just water + compound?
2) Can I use a heavy-duty textured roller brush (loops) to apply this
compound ? I have this one from Lowe's already:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00000159-LR638
(sorry if the link doesn't come out). I am ok with a "textured"
effect - at least it will be consistent.

I've also seen something called "texture paint" which you apply over
the drywall to also mask surface imperfections - is this a better or
worse alternative to skim coating with joint compound?

How you proceed depends on how bad the joints are and if you want a smooth
finish or a textured finish.

For a smooth finish, spackle the bad joints with a decent compound and a
good applicator. If you are not skilled at this, don't try to get it right
the first time. It's easier for beginners to apply the compound one day at
a time, until it looks good and then sand for a smooth finish.

Texture will only hide minor imperfections ... you still might have to do
some spackle work up front.

Google for tips on drywall repair.