Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cannot make the CO/Smoke detector stop beeping.

Hi,

We have a Kiddie KN-COSM-1B smoke detector. Of the past few months
since the basement rebuild we have slowly been replacing our old
hardwired alarms with the Kiddie models. The Kiddie model has CO/Smoke
detector built in. They are apporximately $50 at HD each.

Today I went to replace the third smoke alarm near the attic room,
when all the alarms went off. I removed the new alarm, but could not
get it to stop beeping and saying "Fire, Fire." I can only shut it up
by taking the battery up. When I put the battery back in it continues
to beep. At this point it is not connected to any AC, just the
battery. This happens will all 3 of the Kiddie alarms. The last
remaining regular AC alarm is not beeping or making any noise.

Would could be wrong, how can I shut the alarms up and put them back?
The batteries are new, as are the detectors.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

AS STATED IN THE DIRECTIONS SHEET, smoke and CO alarms are NOT sold as
lifesaving devices. Read the small print. The companies (Kidde in
particular) states that 35% of the units will fail to detect smoke. Per
National Fire statistics, it is more like 55%.

They are not subject to some rules, as they are all made outside of the US
because they contain a very small amount of radioactive materials. This
gives them huge loopholes to drive their Corporate Cadillacs through. If
you notice, you will see MANY stories of smoke alarms that failed to go off,
or see film of melted detectors. It's a travesty. And it costs human
lives. And generally, they will blame the family with two toasted tots for
not changing the batteries. It happens every day somewhere in the US.

Toss those Kidde alarms and get some real alarms. I just did four houses of
mine for just under $7,000 with MasterGuard smoke, heat, and CO detectors.
The company makes the units in Texas, and are based on a different principle
than the radioactive ones. They use photoelectric principles. They also
have fusible links to sense heat. They are guaranteed for life, and can be
washed by dipping into soapy water whenever the clean beep pattern is heard.

Their claim to fame is that they detect a slow smoldering fire very easily,
whereas the Kidde and others will only detect a heavy smoke fire. On a slow
smoldering fire, you just die from lack of oxygen, or pass out, and that's
it.

Kidde alarms and every other one you can buy at the Borg stores are pieces
of ****, and they say so in their own brochures. If the failure rate is
only 35% as they say, you might get two out of three good ones. OR, you
might get three out of three bad ones out of the fifty in the box. But who
reads the fine print?

How much is your life worth? Or your children's?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Two things to try. First make sure that your power connections are good and
tight. Twist the wires together with pliers before twisting on the wire
connectors. Second, with the smoke detector disconnected from the power
source, remove the battery. Push and hold the test button for about 30
seconds. Try this with all of them.

The smoke alarms must be compatible with one another. They should all be
the same make and model.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Just as a note, in real life many lives have been saved by smoke
detectors. I would agree that many should be better, then the price would
go up and fewer would be sold. Life has tradeoffs.

As for the two basic types of sensors, they both have advantages. The
best advice is to understand both and use the one or both where they will
provide the best warnings.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 10:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

George,

When I moved into my 1950 something house I wire for interlinked smoke
detectors and I to used kiddie as that was what the company I worked
for used and I assumed it was good, since we put them in a $16mil
home. But what I noticed was that at random times ex. in the middle
of the night, in the middle of a movie, when guests where over... you
know the good times it would just randomly tell me of a fire. This
became a huge nuisance so I decided to remove them one by one to see
if I could locate the bad one, but I guess there wasn't a bad one
there was 5 bad ones. My solution I found was to replace every last
one of them with firex brand smokies and poof fixed. Bottom line I
lost lots of hours of sleep being scared out of bed for a faulty
product that they wouldn't say was bad.

-Lucas
Lucas Electric, LLC

If I had six hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend the first four hours
sharpening the axe. - Abe Lincoln

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Aug 3, 12:46 am, "SteveB" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

way in the wayback, used to be the ionization detectors, which respond
to quick/clean fires, and the photoelectric detectors which respond to
smoke, both shared space in the hardware aisle, and consumer reports
recommended you have both kinds represented in your home. what
happened?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:02:37 -0700, z wrote:

[snip]

way in the wayback, used to be the ionization detectors, which respond
to quick/clean fires, and the photoelectric detectors which respond to
smoke, both shared space in the hardware aisle, and consumer reports
recommended you have both kinds represented in your home. what
happened?

I got a smoke alarm that contains both last year.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy