Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX tubing and clamps

Anyone using ear clamps with PEX tubing? Will these hold as fast as the
bands being sold for same purpose?

What appeals to me about ear clamps is ease of removal when necessary.

Also, clamping tool seems cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"franz frippl" wrote in message
. net...
Anyone using ear clamps with PEX tubing? Will these hold as fast as the
bands being sold for same purpose?

What appeals to me about ear clamps is ease of removal when necessary.

Also, clamping tool seems cheaper.

It is rarely a good idea to use parts or techniques not approved for the
job. The manufacturers do a lot of testing to determine the best ways to use
their products. Personally, I suspect the ear clamps would not provide
adequate clamping pressure for long term security of the joint. If you want
something temporary or easy to connect and disconnect PEX may not be the
best solution. Cutting the clamps off when needed is not difficult.

You could likely rent the proper clamping tool. You might also need a test
gage which goes with the tool to be sure the tool is clamping properly.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 21:14:31 -0500, "Don Young"
wrote:

[...]

Follow this advice .... nice post!

--
Oren