Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFI gone bonkers

Saturday night I decided to wire the garage. I got most of it done
and all of it works fine except for one GFI. That GFI did work just
fine. I jusdt installed it a few weeks ago in our den, but I removed
it after the household PMS master determined that Ivory is not white
enough. So this GFI was working just fine. Now it dont work. The
instant I plug something into it, it trips. I tried two trouble
lights, my circular saw, drill, and grinder. All of them make it trip
the second I plug them in. All of these things work fine on other
outlets and other GFIs.

I must admit that by the time I got to this outlet I had finished off
two 12 packs of beer, so I thought that maybe I pinched a wire when I
put the outlet in the box. I pulled it out of the box yesterday and
there are no pinched wires. What the heck could be causing this?
By the way, when it trips I can see a visible flash inside of it.

I have never had this happen before. It makes no sense.

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:45:27 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

[...]

Sounds like the neutral and ground leads may be either swapped or
shorted together, possibly not in the box you have that GFI in, but
perhaps at the other end of the wires.

Put in a regular receptical and then TEST it for those kind of faults.

HTH,

Jeff

Well, I was about to take your advice and change the thing when I
discovered what I had done. I put the hot on the LINE end of the
thing and the neutral on the LOAD end..... OOPS.....
I forget these are not regular outlets where it dont matter which
screw is used as long as the color codes are correct. That sure makes
it act weird. I put both wires on the LINE end and it works fine now.

By the way, I wasn't drunk. I drink a 12 pack or more every day so
it's no big deal. It makes routine jobs like this, more fun. I built
my whole house myself and did it using Budweiser for fuel. The
household PMS master dont bug me as much when I am drinking. She
knows better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:

Well, I was about to take your advice and change the thing when I
discovered what I had done. I put the hot on the LINE end of the
thing and the neutral on the LOAD end..... OOPS.....

Yep, stuff like that'll happen when you're potted.

I forget these are not regular outlets where it dont matter which
screw is used as long as the color codes are correct. That sure makes
it act weird. I put both wires on the LINE end and it works fine now.

By the way, I wasn't drunk.

Stop kidding yourself. Two 12-packs, and you weren't drunk? Riiiiight.

I drink a 12 pack or more every day so
it's no big deal.

http://aa.org/en_is_aa_for_you.cfm?PageID=71

It makes routine jobs like this, more fun.

Maybe more fun for you, maybe less fun for the firefighters that pull the
bodies of your wife and kids from the charred rubble of the house that you
wired while you were drunk.

I built
my whole house myself and did it using Budweiser for fuel. The
household PMS master dont bug me as much when I am drinking. She
knows better.

I'll bet she does.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , wrote:

[...]

Last week I read a quote attributed to Albert Einstein I've used for the
"Quote of the Month", posted in our office's waiting room.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is
that there are limits to genius."

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

My "they" say that alcohol is for washing of the body, not for
drinking. While your drunken dumb ass is screwing up your wiring,
I'm screwing up my wiring -- completely sober. Well, perhaps
that's not what I wanted to say?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
: Wadda they say?
:
: "Six beers before twelve and twelve beers before six". G
:
: Jeff
:
: --
: Jeffry Wisnia
: (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
: The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kin we shay alko hic shollick... budddy, buddy.... pash me
another, oh, auh, uh, gotta go pee.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
:
: By the way, I wasn't drunk. I drink a 12 pack or more every
day so
: it's no big deal. It makes routine jobs like this, more fun.
I built
: my whole house myself and did it using Budweiser for fuel. The
: household PMS master dont bug me as much when I am drinking.
She
: knows better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

By the way, I wasn't drunk. I drink a 12 pack or more every day so
it's no big deal. It makes routine jobs like this, more fun. I built
my whole house myself and did it using Budweiser for fuel. The
household PMS master dont bug me as much when I am drinking. She
knows better.

You need help, pal. Ask around. Someone who's been dry for a few months or
years can help you.

While you think "life is better with beer", it's actually passing you by. The
joy of *real* life is experienced sober.

Good luck,
FBt