Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pocket door - a very tight spot

I have a very tight opening to a bathroom where there is no good way to use
a standard door. If I hang the door to swing left it will block off half
the tub, swing right it will block off the sink. Both ways are awkward.

To the left of the existing door is a closet which opens out to the hallway.
I am thinking of closing that closet, and make it accessible from the
bathroom instead as a linen closet. This will mean the space covered by the
current closet door will be available, and there is no plumbing or
electrical that run through it.

Will this be a good use of a pocket door?

I have been looking at various web sites on installation of pocket doors and
it does not seem too complicated. Just wondering what would be the cost
difference between a normal swing door versus a pocket door (door itself +
specialty hardware + installation), is it double, triple or even more?

Also, is it possible to do rough framing for the door before I know exactly
what brand of pocket door I will buy? I know I want a 30" wide door and 80"
tall, so I think I need to frame 61" W and 85" H, I believe...hope it works.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:42:29 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a good place for a pocket door. They are not my favorite,
but when you need one, you need one.

Buy the kit first. It will include steel wrapped thin studs to use
because there isn't room for regular framing members, and it will
spell out the proper RO dimensions.

Best hint I can give is to use a solid core door instead of a flimsy
hollow core. It makes a world of difference on how the door feels
sliding, and also blocks sound much better; important for a bathroom.

As for cost, a pocket kit with track, rollers, and special framing
members can be had for well under $100. To that you add the cost of
the door and whatever type of latch you want.

If you have reasonable carpentry skills it's not all that hard a job.
Trickiest part is trimming it out in such a way you can remove a piece
of trim or two and get the door out if you need to make repairs in the
future.

Good luck,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thank you VERY MUCH it's greatly appreciated!

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a very tight opening to a bathroom where there is no good way to use
a standard door. If I hang the door to swing left it will block off half
the tub, swing right it will block off the sink. Both ways are awkward.

Not to ask a dumb question but have you considered having the door open out into
the hall rather than into the bathroom? Putting in a pocket door is a lot more
work. It will probably be a good solution to your problem but it's a lot more
involved.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

pocket door hardware todd Woodworking 5 September 15th 06 03:49 PM
Adapt standard door to pocket door---Locks NoSpecialName Home Repair 2 November 14th 05 03:15 AM
Pocket door handymart Home Repair 0 July 14th 05 11:02 PM
Pocket door daler Home Repair 5 March 2nd 05 04:06 PM
How do you paint a POCKET DOOR? Nobody Home Ownership 10 January 1st 05 12:59 AM