Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Pocket door - a very tight spot

I have a very tight opening to a bathroom where there is no good way to use
a standard door. If I hang the door to swing left it will block off half
the tub, swing right it will block off the sink. Both ways are awkward.

To the left of the existing door is a closet which opens out to the hallway.
I am thinking of closing that closet, and make it accessible from the
bathroom instead as a linen closet. This will mean the space covered by the
current closet door will be available, and there is no plumbing or
electrical that run through it.

Will this be a good use of a pocket door?

I have been looking at various web sites on installation of pocket doors and
it does not seem too complicated. Just wondering what would be the cost
difference between a normal swing door versus a pocket door (door itself +
specialty hardware + installation), is it double, triple or even more?

Also, is it possible to do rough framing for the door before I know exactly
what brand of pocket door I will buy? I know I want a 30" wide door and 80"
tall, so I think I need to frame 61" W and 85" H, I believe...hope it works.

MC