Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lost oil from central a/c unit

Hi ,Not sure what I did wrong but I added freon for a frozen Rheem 3
ton central a/c unit, After the ice melted in the aie handler the
pressure on the low side shot up to 100 from 40. I decided to remove
some freon from the unit. I used the low pressure side to remove the
freon . After a while I noticed that I lost about 6 0z. of oil. So I
decided to remove freon using the high pressure side. That worked
alot better with very little oil loss. Finally I got the low pressure
side to about 65 and the unit is working well. I have 2 questions
now., How do I replace the oil back the the central a/c unit? And Why
did the pressure rise after the ice melted in the air handler. Any
advice would help. Ray

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 04:10:21 -0700, rayjohn3 wrote:

Hi ,Not sure what I did wrong but I added freon for a frozen Rheem 3
ton central a/c unit, After the ice melted in the aie handler the
pressure on the low side shot up to 100 from 40. I decided to remove
some freon from the unit. I used the low pressure side to remove the
freon . After a while I noticed that I lost about 6 0z. of oil. So I
decided to remove freon using the high pressure side. That worked
alot better with very little oil loss. Finally I got the low pressure
side to about 65 and the unit is working well. I have 2 questions
now., How do I replace the oil back the the central a/c unit? And Why
did the pressure rise after the ice melted in the air handler. Any
advice would help. Ray

There is an attachment to add oil and after the ice melted the
refrigerant was able to flash off hence the low side pressure rose.
Next time thaw the coil first.