Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rodents in attic

I was going in the attic to install a vent pipe for the stove and this
is what I saw.
http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/Attic

I don't think anyone has been in the attic for at least 20 years so I
don't know how long this has been here.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I was afraid to go near it

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

wrote:
I was going in the attic to install a vent pipe for the stove and this
is what I saw.
http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/Attic

I don't think anyone has been in the attic for at least 20 years so I
don't know how long this has been here.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I was afraid to go near it

Hard to see the texture of the pile but if it is just grass/straw it was
done by birds trying to make a nest in the louver. The material falls
and piles up, but it does make a great place for rodents to nest. Wear
gloves when you removing in case of lice/mites etc.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 10:28 pm, wrote:
I was going in the attic to install a vent pipe for the stove and this
is what I saw.http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/Attic

I don't think anyone has been in the attic for at least 20 years so I
don't know how long this has been here.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I was afraid to go near it

Throw a bunch of Moth Balls around up there and wait a few days if
theres any live creature present it will leave the premises. Put in
enough to really stink the place up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 03:28:50 -0000, wrote:

I was going in the attic to install a vent pipe for the stove and this
is what I saw.
http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/Attic

I don't think anyone has been in the attic for at least 20 years so I
don't know how long this has been here.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I was afraid to go near it

Dont know what it is, but move out of there fast. I wouldnt live in a
place that has that in it. At least have the roof torn off the place
with a crane and have them rip that part of the ceiling away and right
into a dumpster or a truck. Personally, I'd move myseld and my stuff
and set the place on fire.

EUL
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Jack wrote:
On Jul 26, 10:28 pm, wrote:

I was going in the attic to install a vent pipe for the stove and this
is what I saw.http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/Attic

I don't think anyone has been in the attic for at least 20 years so I
don't know how long this has been here.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I was afraid to go near it

Throw a bunch of Moth Balls around up there and wait a few days if
theres any live creature present it will leave the premises. Put in
enough to really stink the place up.

If you try the moth balls, place them in an old stocking so that once
the oder starts entering the living space you can easily remove them.

Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I was going in the attic to install a vent pipe for the stove and this
is what I saw.
http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/Attic

I don't think anyone has been in the attic for at least 20 years so I
don't know how long this has been here.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I was afraid to go near it

I've seen these before.

It's a beaver dam.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I was going in the attic to install a vent pipe for the stove and this
is what I saw.
http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/Attic

I don't think anyone has been in the attic for at least 20 years so I
don't know how long this has been here.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I was afraid to go near it

Dont know what it is, but move out of there fast. I wouldnt live in a
place that has that in it.

This is alarmist. There is really no problem in living there. Usually
they will only infect the dog or cat, and if there is no dog or cat,
they will only make a small entry point in the abdomen and set up a
habitat in the spleen. As you all know, we don't really need our
spleens. It will take them at least 10 years to get past the pupa
stage, at which time worms only an inch long will leave the spleen and
look for other organs. But 10 years is a long time, and they will
surely have a cure by then.

At least have the roof torn off the place
with a crane and have them rip that part of the ceiling away and right
into a dumpster or a truck. Personally, I'd move myseld and my stuff
and set the place on fire.

EUL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 8:52 pm, Lar wrote:
wrote:
I was going in the attic to install a vent pipe for the stove and this
is what I saw.
http://picasaweb.google.com/DaveHV/Attic

I don't think anyone has been in the attic for at least 20 years so I
don't know how long this has been here.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I was afraid to go near it

Hard to see the texture of the pile but if it is just grass/straw it was
done by birds trying to make a nest in the louver. The material falls
and piles up, but it does make a great place for rodents to nest. Wear
gloves when you removing in case of lice/mites etc.

Lar

Or, it could be that a number starlings actually found a way into the
attic and were building one of their characteristically large nests.
Either way, it needs to be removed, and if a hole is found where
startlings could enter, hardware cloth or other heavy metal mesh
should be stapled up to prevent them from pecking their way in again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr.Spock wrote:
The homeless people got into the attic and created a nest.

through that wide open window, no doubt??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 11:29 pm, "barbie.gee"
wrote:
Mr.Spock wrote:
The homeless people got into the attic and created a nest.

through that wide open window, no doubt??

that's for the wonderful suggestions.

I finally got the courage to investigate the pile of straw and found a
pterodactyl egg. I quickly removed the nest before the mother comes
back