Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile

About a month ago I bought a couple boxes of porcelain tile at home depot so
I could tile my fireplace. I just did the job last weekend and I was a few
tiles short so I went back up to Home Depot and bought another box. Now
that they are up I realize that even though they are the same tile,
something is different and that something is that the new ones do not have a
shine on them. I guess you could say there is no sheen or glaze like the
others. They even feel like they don't have a sheen on them. Is there
something I can do to make them have that sheen like the rest of them?

One more question I have is that when you seal grout, can you rub the sealer
over glazed tiles? The guy at home depot said you only put sealer on stone
or unglazed tiles but Ive heard that you can? Thanks for any help.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 11:17 pm, "Joey" wrote:
so I went back up to Home Depot and bought another box. Now
that they are up I realize that even though they are the same tile,
something is different

I've noticed that Home Depot tile isn't always consistent. Last time
I used it, I bought way too much, mixed them all up, installed, and
returned the unused tiles. The end result was pretty good. Sounds
like you're SOL if you've already installed everything.

Now I'm trying to use Lowes tile and the quality control is so bad
that I cannot install them. The tile sizes vary so much that it'll
almost totally close off a 1/4" grout line in some places. Some of
the tiles don't even have 90 degree angles. Absolute crap.
Fortunately I figured this out before mixing any thinset.

One more question I have is that when you seal grout, can you rub the sealer
over glazed tiles? The guy at home depot said you only put sealer on stone
or unglazed tiles but Ive heard that you can?

It's a waste of sealer to put it on glazed tile. I use a small paint
brush in the grout lines and then wipe off the tile. Come to think of
it, maybe a few coats of sealer might add some shine to your unmatched
tiles.