Posted to alt.home.repair

Default garage siding and window replacement

I have a detached garage that I plan on having the siding replace in the
near future. It also has a window that needs replaced. This is the only
window on that side of the garage. Because the size of the window (23" x
23") is non standard, I would rather install something that Lowes has in
stock.

Can I simply reframe the opening to a larger size and install the new
window? Any info on the internet about reframing window openings or is
there not much to be concerned about?

Currently the siding has 'paper' underneath it. I understand that it would
be wise to install OSB. I would like to remove the siding ASAP so I can
install the window, but it will be a few weeks before siding will be
installed. Would it be ok to install OSB and leave it exposed to the
weather for approx 4 weeks or should I cover it with plastic or something?

Many thanks,
-j

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I would visit www.Pella.com and/or andersen window's site to see the
importants of properly flashing a window. Buying a new window and not
installing it correctly is a waste of money. You can download installation
instructions at those sites and see how to install a quality window even if
you buy a different brand.

You say there is paper under the old siding. What is under the paper?

The right grade of OSB can take a fair amount of weather.

"J" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

You need to install the right grade of OSB and then building paper, like
tyvek, over that. Does it have footings?

"J" wrote in message
Nothing is under the paper, just studs. (Actually, a portion of the
garage contains a small office and it has insulation under the paper).

ink.net...

"J" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know whether it has footings or not.

link.net...

"J" wrote in message
Nothing is under the paper, just studs. (Actually, a portion of the
garage contains a small office and it has insulation under the paper).

ink.net...