Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC tonnage determination

Hi I posted a thread last week about different technicians trying to
determine the tonnage of my AC units and they came up with different
numbers. Here are the unit models:

(1) Janitrol Model CKL 36-1D

(2) This one is a bit tricky because part of the label has torn off,
leaving only part of the model number visible. The manufacturer is
Rheem and it's model RAF8-04..........can't read the rest. However,
after the digit "4" the next digit seems to be a "2" because I see
part of the "2" in the lower left hand corner, I think it's a "2".

Another question is I noticed the Rheem unit has a main return in the
hallway, but each of the four bedrooms has their own 10"x10" return
and vent. I don't remember seeing an central AC system with so many
returns. The main return needs a 23"x17" filter and each of the 4
room return require a 9"x9" filter. Is it efficient to have so many
returns?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi I posted a thread last week about different technicians trying to
determine the tonnage of my AC units and they came up with different
numbers. Here are the unit models:

(1) Janitrol Model CKL 36-1D

36,000 Btu, which is a 3-ton unit.

(2) This one is a bit tricky because part of the label has torn off,
leaving only part of the model number visible. The manufacturer is
Rheem and it's model RAF8-04..........can't read the rest. However,
after the digit "4" the next digit seems to be a "2" because I see
part of the "2" in the lower left hand corner, I think it's a "2".

If it's a 2, its 42,000 Btu, which is a 3 1/2-ton unit.
If it's a 8, its 48,000 Btu, which is a 4-ton unit.

Another question is I noticed the Rheem unit has a main return in the
hallway, but each of the four bedrooms has their own 10"x10" return
and vent. I don't remember seeing an central AC system with so many
returns. The main return needs a 23"x17" filter and each of the 4
room return require a 9"x9" filter. Is it efficient to have so many
returns?

By having more returns, it helps circulate the air to keep your home at a
more even temperature throughout. However, you don't pull return air from
equipment rooms, utility rooms, bathrooms and kitchens.

You can have one filter at the unit to cover all the return air. Having
multiple filters is a little overkill, unless they're piped into the return
'after' your main filter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 10:53 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Thanks. The individual rooms all have sheet metal ducts that leads to
the air handler in the attic, the main return is in the hallway and it
has a large duct that leads to the air handler over twenty feet away,
I don't know why it's done this way but house was built 30 years ago
so may be a different standard then?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
ps.com...

Thanks. The individual rooms all have sheet metal ducts that leads to
the air handler in the attic, the main return is in the hallway and it
has a large duct that leads to the air handler over twenty feet away,
I don't know why it's done this way but house was built 30 years ago
so may be a different standard then?

A lot of times you will have returns in the bedrooms, while you have 1 or 2
larger returns in a central area to cover the living/family/dining rooms.

Since your filters are in the ceiling 'filter' grills, all of them *are*
necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 11:15 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

Thanks. The individual rooms all have sheet metal ducts that leads to
the air handler in the attic, the main return is in the hallway and it
has a large duct that leads to the air handler over twenty feet away,
I don't know why it's done this way but house was built 30 years ago
so may be a different standard then?

A lot of times you will have returns in the bedrooms, while you have 1 or 2
larger returns in a central area to cover the living/family/dining rooms.

Since your filters are in the ceiling 'filter' grills, all of them *are*
necessary.

Thank you for the advise. Now I have a stupid question...

So now I have 4 small returns and a large main return in the hallway,
and the cool air is being fed to 4 bed rooms, 3 bathrooms, and a
family room.

I would like to install two ceiling fans in two of the bedrooms.
Unfortunately both the returns and supply grille are both "near" the
center of the room where I want to hang the ceiling fan. They are not
right there in the center, but they are near enough. I can't say
why, but is there any reason a return or supply grille should not be
inside the sweep radius of a ceiling fan (other than the fact it looks
odd to me)?

I asked the AC techs (I still have not determined who to hire yet) if
it's possible to relocate the return and supply from the center of the
room to the edge of the room, he said this would require running brand
new ducts because these 30 year old sheet metal ducts once he touch
them they may just leak and break - and I think he is right...

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 21, 11:15 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

It must be a very small room to be able to cover both of them with a ceiling
fan. Otherwise, they should be separated further apart. The supply near an
outside wall and the return in a corner near the center part of the house.

It would look odd to have a fan covering both grills.

I asked the AC techs (I still have not determined who to hire yet) if
it's possible to relocate the return and supply from the center of the
room to the edge of the room, he said this would require running brand
new ducts because these 30 year old sheet metal ducts once he touch
them they may just leak and break - and I think he is right...

Sheet metal ducts that fall apart... ? hummmm, so are you saying the metal
is rusted and very thin? If not, how is it going to just leak and break?
Sounds more like the contractor just doesn't want the job of relocating the
grills.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 7:06 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 21, 11:15 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

The room is not very small, standard size, 12'x13' and the other
15'x12', but for some reason the return and supply are all near the
center in the ceiling. They are both 9"x9" or 10"x10" small squares.
I don't know why they are not on the edge, I guess the idea was if
they place it in the middle it will distribute to all sides of the
room equally? Now that I am remodeling the rooms, I have to figure
out the proper positions of AC return and supply, high hat lights,
ceiling fan etc...

It would look odd to have a fan covering both grills.

I asked the AC techs (I still have not determined who to hire yet) if
it's possible to relocate the return and supply from the center of the
room to the edge of the room, he said this would require running brand
new ducts because these 30 year old sheet metal ducts once he touch
them they may just leak and break - and I think he is right...

Sheet metal ducts that fall apart... ? hummmm, so are you saying the metal
is rusted and very thin? If not, how is it going to just leak and break?
Sounds more like the contractor just doesn't want the job of relocating the
grills.

No, I removed the grilles and looked up the duct and they look fine,
no corrosion whatsoever. I also went up to the attic and I think the
ducts are covered with foam on the outside and those foam seemed
brittle when touched.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 22, 7:06 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 21, 11:15 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

You want the supply located by the walls that are gaining/losing heat.
The return should be towards the inner part of the home. Normally, this is
by the doors.

[...]

Then why can't they be moved? The pipes can always be re-insulated.