Posted to alt.home.repair

Default counter depth refigerator opinion

I am going to be remodeling my kitchen soon and one of the appliances
I was considering was a "counter depth" refrigerator to save some
space. I know the obvious disadvantage is the shelves are not as
deep as a conventional fridge, but I saw some on the showroom floor
and the differnece in shelf space was not that much. In particular 2
models caught my eye: Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool both make a 24.5 cu ft
counter depth fridge, almost equivelant to a 25 cu ft conventional
fridge. I was just wondering if anyone has a counter depth fridge and
what your opinions are. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mikepier wrote:
I am going to be remodeling my kitchen soon and one of the
appliances I was considering was a "counter depth" refrigerator to
save some space. I know the obvious disadvantage is the shelves
are not as deep as a conventional fridge, but I saw some on the
showroom floor and the differnece in shelf space was not that much.
In particular 2 models caught my eye: Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool
both make a 24.5 cu ft counter depth fridge, almost equivelant to a
25 cu ft conventional fridge. I was just wondering if anyone has a
counter depth fridge and what your opinions are. Thanks.

My opinion is that *all* domestic refrigerators are too deep. Stuff
winds up being pushed to the back where it stays until it gets green
and hairy. IMO, 14" deep would be plenty. Shame they don't make
such.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:44:02 -0700, Mikepier
wrote:

I am going to be remodeling my kitchen soon and one of the appliances
I was considering was a "counter depth" refrigerator to save some
space. I know the obvious disadvantage is the shelves are not as
deep as a conventional fridge, but I saw some on the showroom floor
and the differnece in shelf space was not that much. In particular 2
models caught my eye: Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool both make a 24.5 cu ft
counter depth fridge, almost equivelant to a 25 cu ft conventional
fridge. I was just wondering if anyone has a counter depth fridge and
what your opinions are. Thanks.

I have the full size one and love it. In addition to sticking out,
I pull it out 6 inches from the wall so the condensor coils have room
to breathe.

I'm all for counter depth but make sure there is ample room to move
the hot air from the coils.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote

I am going to be remodeling my kitchen soon and one of the appliances
I was considering was a "counter depth" refrigerator to save some
space. I know the obvious disadvantage is the shelves are not as
deep as a conventional fridge, but I saw some on the showroom floor
and the differnece in shelf space was not that much. In particular 2
models caught my eye: Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool both make a 24.5 cu ft
counter depth fridge, almost equivelant to a 25 cu ft conventional
fridge. I was just wondering if anyone has a counter depth fridge and
what your opinions are. Thanks.

Just a thought ... you might try asking at rec.food.equipment.

I think they are a good idea, but I've never had one.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am going to be remodeling my kitchen soon and one of the appliances
I was considering was a "counter depth" refrigerator to save some
space. I know the obvious disadvantage is the shelves are not as
deep as a conventional fridge, but I saw some on the showroom floor
and the differnece in shelf space was not that much. In particular 2
models caught my eye: Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool both make a 24.5 cu ft
counter depth fridge, almost equivelant to a 25 cu ft conventional
fridge. I was just wondering if anyone has a counter depth fridge and
what your opinions are. Thanks.

Most of the counter depth refrigerators that I remember selling were just as
deep as a conventional refrigerator but were redesigned so the the main box
of the refrig. was counter depth and then the door(s) were thicker so that
it still stuck out as far but gave the illusion of being basically as deep
as the counters. More storage was allocated to the doors.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mikepier wrote:
I am going to be remodeling my kitchen soon and one of the appliances
I was considering was a "counter depth" refrigerator to save some
space. I know the obvious disadvantage is the shelves are not as
deep as a conventional fridge, but I saw some on the showroom floor
and the differnece in shelf space was not that much. In particular 2
models caught my eye: Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool both make a 24.5 cu ft
counter depth fridge, almost equivelant to a 25 cu ft conventional
fridge. I was just wondering if anyone has a counter depth fridge and
what your opinions are. Thanks.

Depends on what your storage requirements and patterns are as well as
whether you will have room for what is possibly a wider profile.

The other alternative you might consider if can is to recess the space.
If it's not an exterior or wet wall, that could be possible...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article xOnoi.79$9A6.12@trnddc01,
"dadiOH" wrote:

My opinion is that *all* domestic refrigerators are too deep. Stuff
winds up being pushed to the back where it stays until it gets green
and hairy. IMO, 14" deep would be plenty. Shame they don't make
such.

Refrigerators should have rotating shelves to solve that problem
Posted to alt.home.repair

valvejob writes:

I have the full size one and love it. In addition to sticking out,
I pull it out 6 inches from the wall so the condensor coils have room
to breathe.

I'm all for counter depth but make sure there is ample room to move
the hot air from the coils.

We bought a new refrigerator a month ago, and not a single one of the
units we looked at had exposed condenser coils on the back. Instead,
they all had fan-draft condensers down in the compartment where the
compressor lives. This allows the fridge body to be a couple of inches
deeper, with more useful space inside.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

We bought a new refrigerator a month ago, and not a single one of the
units we looked at had exposed condenser coils on the back. Instead,
they all had fan-draft condensers down in the compartment where the
compressor lives. This allows the fridge body to be a couple of inches
deeper, with more useful space inside.

Deeper fridges do NOT have more usuable space. My next fridge is going to be
WIDE and SHALLOW.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:

My opinion is that *all* domestic refrigerators are too deep. Stuff
winds up being pushed to the back where it stays until it gets green
and hairy. IMO, 14" deep would be plenty. Shame they don't make
such.

Refrigerators should have rotating shelves to solve that problem

Limiting usable space to a circular area within a rectangular one
(less the additional space for the rotating mechanism), wasting a lot
of space which still needs to be cooled. You "save" space by wasting
even more.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word
in the Gospels in praise of intelligence."
--Bertrand Russell

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:

My opinion is that *all* domestic refrigerators are too deep. Stuff
winds up being pushed to the back where it stays until it gets green
and hairy. IMO, 14" deep would be plenty. Shame they don't make
such.

Refrigerators should have rotating shelves to solve that problem

Limiting usable space to a circular area within a rectangular one
(less the additional space for the rotating mechanism), wasting a lot
of space which still needs to be cooled. You "save" space by wasting
even more.

Properly designed you lose little space. The rotating shelves
should have a flat spot facing the door, and the 'wasted" space
in the back corners could house machinery or even tall built in
shelving accessable when the flat spot is in the right position.
I have rotating shelves in my corner kitchen cabinets with very
little wasted space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 07:24:47 -0500, Nick Hull wrote:

"dadiOH" wrote:

My opinion is that *all* domestic refrigerators are too deep. Stuff
winds up being pushed to the back where it stays until it gets green
and hairy. IMO, 14" deep would be plenty. Shame they don't make
such.

Refrigerators should have rotating shelves to solve that problem

Limiting usable space to a circular area within a rectangular one
(less the additional space for the rotating mechanism), wasting a lot
of space which still needs to be cooled. You "save" space by wasting
even more.

Properly designed you lose little space. The rotating shelves
should have a flat spot facing the door, and the 'wasted" space
in the back corners could house machinery or even tall built in
shelving accessable when the flat spot is in the right position.

There would be a lot of POTENTIALLY wasted space in a rectangular
refrigerator. Is there really that much machinery?

Any particular reason why you mentioned only 2 or the FOUR corners?

That flat spot would either block rotation of waste space itself.

I have rotating shelves in my corner kitchen cabinets with very
little wasted space.

I can't tell that much without a picture. Note that pictures in ads
usually show very poor utilization of the space.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:

Any particular reason why you mentioned only 2 or the FOUR corners?

That flat spot would either block rotation of waste space itself.

I would imagine that the shelves are half shelves and rotate only 90
degrees each, thus the front corners could go all of the way to the corner
where they meet the door shelves. I think that is the way General Electric
made a refrigerator back in the 50s or 60s. I only saw one once.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:28:21 GMT, "Tom G"
wrote:

.. .

"dadiOH" wrote:

Any particular reason why you mentioned only 2 or the FOUR corners?

That flat spot would either block rotation of waste space itself.

I would imagine that the shelves are half shelves and rotate only 90
degrees each, thus the front corners could go all of the ay to the corner
where they meet the door shelves. I think that is the way General Electric
made a refrigerator back in the 50s or 60s. I only saw one once.

Tom G.

I think I follow that (a diagram would have really helped). So, the
shelf can rotate only with the door open?

Considering the interior of my refrigerator, 29*16=464 inches:

Largest full-circle shelf: 8*8*pi=201 square inches. 43.3%

Largest half-circle shelf: (14.5*14.5*pi)/2=330 square inches. 71.1%

The half-circle has some space advantage over the full circle, but is
still wasteful.

BTW, the depth figure here is deducting 6 inches for the door shelves
and 1.5 inches for the rear shelf supports.

BTW, the way I figured the half-shelf width is the lesser of the width
of the refrigerator's interior or twice the depth.

Worktop depth Anna Kettle UK diy 4 February 22nd 06 11:29 AM
where to get a schematic for a ge refigerator [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 14th 05 04:21 PM
GE Profile Refigerator Questions Steve Kraus Home Repair 5 November 28th 05 06:06 AM
depth gauge aalchin Woodworking 14 August 26th 05 04:54 AM
supporting a new tile floor- plywood depth, backer board depth? K Ruck Home Repair 7 July 3rd 05 08:16 PM