Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.lighting

Default Wiring Two of Three fluorescent Lights?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:00:46 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to Edward :
Rusty wrote in :

If it doesn't say, it probably isn't 90C. also note the lack of a
cable clamp as I mentioned before.

****.
What do I do since its not 90C?

Use a J box (see my other followup). Will be easy in this
case.

Is the fact that it is wired into the old fixture meaningless?

Yes. While you don't have to go through your house upgrading
your fixture connects (they're grandfathered), the rule is that
any work you do must be brought into current code.

Makes sense.
I would rather use a junction box, screwed in there.
For obvious reasons I want to be code compliant. So when the time
comes to sell the house, and an anal inspector comes through ripping
electrical tape off my wire nuts - he sees that I am (was?) an
amateur, but a higher class of amateur.

and hopefully these stories of electronic balasts failing are

Lots of people wouldn't bother, and the likelyhood of this
one rearing up to kill you is extremely low. But the J-box
is easy, might as well do it right, one less thing to obsess
about in the middle of the night ;-)

Logical.
I played golf with one of my dad's friends - he runs _a_ county
forensics lab and had a few arson cases. When they can't figure out
what caused a fire? Thay say electrical. So 9/10 times when the
newspaper says a set of crossed wires caused a fire - they don't know.

--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.lighting

Edward wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:50:30 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to Edward :

I bought one of the fixtures and it is all starting to come
together.
I knocked the hole out where the wire is going to feed in.
http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00885ki5.jpg
Can you see these?

http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?i...86largeqw9.jpg

Yup.

From inside the wall, above the kitchen work area.
This is where the 30+ year old 44" fixtures already are.
Thay have the black wire inside the fictures. Cold it be 90C? I
can't read anythign ont he insulation.
http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?i...87largecq5.jpg

I can't tell for sure, but that's cloth-wrap (not plastic)

The outside seems like rubber, but the, last time I cut into that pre
Bell bottom **** there was the paper like stuff in there.
Paper in an electric wire? I start fires using paper. I don't use
those yuppie logs, I use the real wooden ones.
I'm glad I wasn't around in the 1970's.

I also like how there's no NM cable connector on any of the fixtures.

Isn't that a code violation?

Yup. Need strain relief and protection from sharp edge of knockout.

cable isn't it? Assume it's 60C then. Anal code compliance
would suggest you need to get a J box up there and splice
in a bit of modern 90C wire to go to the fixture. Try to
keep it so that the J box is at least partially visible
when looking straight up into the fixture cavity.

44"? Are you sure you don't mean 48"?
--
Chris Lewis,

Yes, 48".

I looked at Lowes, and I don't see anyhting relating to 90C, would it
be called something else?

If you are talking about Romex, it should be marked NM-B. The "B"
indicates it has 90C rated wire insulation.

(Individual wires would be THHN.)

I'm ready to rock down here...
http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?i...0mediumqc2.jpg

Except for the 90C wire.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.lighting

Lewis) wrote:

According to Edward :

I bought one of the fixtures and it is all starting to come
together.
I knocked the hole out where the wire is going to feed in.
http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00885ki5.jpg
Can you see these?

http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?i...86largeqw9.jpg
Yup.

From inside the wall, above the kitchen work area.
This is where the 30+ year old 44" fixtures already are.
Thay have the black wire inside the fictures. Cold it be 90C? I
can't read anythign ont he insulation.
http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?i...87largecq5.jpg
I can't tell for sure, but that's cloth-wrap (not plastic)

The outside seems like rubber, but the, last time I cut into that pre
Bell bottom **** there was the paper like stuff in there.
Paper in an electric wire? I start fires using paper. I don't use
those yuppie logs, I use the real wooden ones.
I'm glad I wasn't around in the 1970's.

I also like how there's no NM cable connector on any of the fixtures.

Isn't that a code violation?

Yup. Need strain relief and protection from sharp edge of knockout.

That's the pits. I've been living in this house for decades.

Anyway, I think I'm ready to rock!
two cable connectors on that jbox NM-B cable....
http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0336ul1.jpg