Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.lighting
Edward[_2_] Edward[_2_] is offline

Default Wiring Two of Three fluorescent Lights?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:00:46 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

According to Edward :
Rusty wrote in :

If it doesn't say, it probably isn't 90C. also note the lack of a
cable clamp as I mentioned before.

****.
What do I do since its not 90C?

Use a J box (see my other followup). Will be easy in this
case.

Is the fact that it is wired into the old fixture meaningless?

Yes. While you don't have to go through your house upgrading
your fixture connects (they're grandfathered), the rule is that
any work you do must be brought into current code.

Makes sense.
I would rather use a junction box, screwed in there.
For obvious reasons I want to be code compliant. So when the time
comes to sell the house, and an anal inspector comes through ripping
electrical tape off my wire nuts - he sees that I am (was?) an
amateur, but a higher class of amateur.

and hopefully these stories of electronic balasts failing are

Lots of people wouldn't bother, and the likelyhood of this
one rearing up to kill you is extremely low. But the J-box
is easy, might as well do it right, one less thing to obsess
about in the middle of the night ;-)

Logical.
I played golf with one of my dad's friends - he runs _a_ county
forensics lab and had a few arson cases. When they can't figure out
what caused a fire? Thay say electrical. So 9/10 times when the
newspaper says a set of crossed wires caused a fire - they don't know.

--
Chris Lewis,