Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My "frost-free" freezer is frosting up

Refrigerator:

Manufacturer: Whirlpool
Model: ET20GMXFN01
S/N: EH0313131
Mfg. Date: 01-98

Whirlpool refrigerator with upper frost-free freezer compartment

Okay, so a month or so ago I had a similar problem. I took everything
out of the freezer and gave it a good cleaning. I had way too much
stuff in there, so I threw out quite a bit. At the time, I could feel
cold air coming through the freezer vents. I also cleaned the coils
under the refrigerator and inspected the door seal. There were no
cracks or gaps, etc. So I reloaded the freezer and made sure the air
vents were not blocked. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed the frost
starting to build up on the top front area. This would be the area
directly in front of the door when it is closed. I now have large
frosted icicles accumulating in this area.

The food in the freezer is frozen and the refrigerator compartment
keeps food cold. How can I tell if the fan needs to be replaced? How
do I access the fan compartment? If it turns out that the fan is not
the problem, the only other offender I can suspect is the door seal.
However, I'm reluctant to consider the seal as a first option because
it looks good and makes a tight seal all around when the door is
closed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Baylynx writes:

If it turns out that the fan is not
the problem, the only other offender I can suspect is the door seal.

No. Learn about the defrost timer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When those go bad, the compartment frosts at the back wall.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
:
: Defrost timer or the defrost heater(s).
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

The door seal is the only choice that makes sense. Fan, and
defrost equipment would make the freezer frost at the back wall.

How can I tell if the fan needs to be replaced?

CY: Bad evaporator fan, you won't hear it run while the fridge is
running. Open the freezer, and push the door button, see if you
can hear it. You mentioned feeling cold air, so that's not
likely. Also if the refrig is cold, the fan isn't the problem.

How
: do I access the fan compartment?

CY: Typically take all the food and shelves out of the freezer.
Take the back wall out of the freezer.

If it turns out that the fan is not
: the problem, the only other offender I can suspect is the door
seal.

CY: Well, there are other problems that can be the case. From
what you describe, it's a bad door seal.

: However, I'm reluctant to consider the seal as a first option
because
: it looks good and makes a tight seal all around when the door
is
: closed.
:

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
..

"Baylynx" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Refrigerator:
:
: Manufacturer: Whirlpool
: Model: ET20GMXFN01
: S/N: EH0313131
: Mfg. Date: 01-98
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:35:37 -0700, Baylynx
wrote:f

[...]

Level the fridge.

Then I recommend you do a dollar bill test all around the seal.

Something is holding the door open slightly to allow moist air to
enter your freezer and frost up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 10:12 am, valvejob wrote:
[...]

enter your freezer and frost up.- Hide quoted text -

Based on all the input, a faulty fan or defrost timer makes the back
wall frost up. That's not the case here. I'll try the dollar bill
test. I presume you mean that a dollar bill should not slip under the
rubber gasket?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:23:18 -0700, Baylynx
wrote:

I'll try the dollar bill
test. I presume you mean that a dollar bill should not slip under the
rubber gasket?

That, and I think they mean when the door is shut on the bill, there
should be resistance to pulling it out. But isn't a bill too wide for
a good test like that? Couldn't there be resistance on the outer 2
thirds but a big gap on the inner third?